Dyslexic strategy/ book help please.

(7 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Thu 18-Apr-13 23:11:53

SugarPea

Thats it exactly, thank you.
I mentioned what I was looking for to a friend and she couldn't believe it wasn't these fun things. I think they are ok for a bit of revision but if the dc struggles to remember the concept, lots of practice sounds logical to me.

educating I like the idea of the ball, might be a bit funny thanks

SugarPeaSnap Thu 18-Apr-13 22:52:35

Have you looked at the Kumon workbooks?
They are very much 'pages of sums' but laid out in a systematic way: for example, there might be a page of addition where you are adding one to any number between 1 and 30, then adding 2 to any number between 1 and 30. I think the idea is, that if you do enough of them, you get that 'Click!' moment, where it all becomes second nature, and you understand the relationships between the numbers.
I would imagine it would be good for some one with dyslexia because you don't have to spend a lot of time interpreting the jazzy way the information is presented on each page but you can get accustomed to the style of it and then progress through it systematically at your own pace.

Try saying times tables while throwing or catching a ball!

morethanpotatoprints Thu 18-Apr-13 11:55:22

Thanks to you both, I'm on the case now.

I do think that old fashioned way works with quite a few dyslexics. We also do times tables by rote, but she uses a drum to beat out the rhythm or marches up and down like a loony. smile

jomidmum Thu 18-Apr-13 08:03:53

My DD is dyslexic and we use Carol Vordermanns resources, both the work books and the website Maths Factor. DD understands the old fashioned methods so much more and it's been wonderful seeing her understand and develop more.
It sounds like the approach you're after, so maybe have a look at her resources.

google "dads worksheets" Pages and pages of different sorts of "sums" you can print off for free

morethanpotatoprints Wed 17-Apr-13 23:15:54

Hi all.

As a dyslexic I found the really old fashioned maths books really helped me. not like the work books today but pages of sums so repetition gets the point across.
My dd also struggles with the new style of fun books, the all singing dancing type, and has asked me for pages of sums.
can anybody recommend any like this, do they exist.
Now I know some may say ouch boring but if it helped me, firstly wanted to share with others, secondly need to find them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now