Has anyone take their child out of school just for a year and then returned them to the same school?

(8 Posts)
bran Wed 06-Mar-13 11:34:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatherineKrupnik Wed 06-Mar-13 11:40:31

You know you might not get a place again?

SavoyCabbage Wed 06-Mar-13 11:45:39

Children are always coming and going from our school. Going to live with grandparents for a year in china, travelling round Australia in a camper van, going to tennis school for a year - all done at my school recently.

bran Wed 06-Mar-13 11:52:48

claraschu Wed 06-Mar-13 11:54:03

I did this with 2 of my 3 children for different reasons. It was all fine. I didn't worry about missing out on anything from the curriculum and it was never an issue or a problem.
I think the main thing is keeping the good relationship with the school. Our very kind and friendly school was not interested in hearing why I felt one of our children was being shortchanged, so I didn't dwell on it, just smiled and thanked everyone. It all worked out well.

bran Wed 06-Mar-13 11:59:03

chartreuse Tue 12-Mar-13 09:25:33

I didn't do this but wish I had. Ds2 has dyslexia and is pretty sensitive. He was doing so well in school until last year when he had an inexperienced teacher who pretty much destroyed his confidence. He started refusing to go to school and had to be treated for stress and anxiety. Although he has a better teacher this year, the negative experience of last year has really spilled over into this year and we are currently home schooling him sad

Trust your instinct, if you think it's the right thing for your child, it probably is.

LucyLight Tue 12-Mar-13 15:55:27

Do Home School if you think this is the right thing for you and your child. Also I would suggest you talk to the Head. Had a similar issue with my DD (personality clash and teaching style) and found out I wasn't the only one who had this problem. Other parents used to dread their child going into that year. When I talked to the Head things improved considerably.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now