Does anyone teach their DC's the recorder?

(7 Posts)
MollyNollyNoo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:31:50

DD would like to learn, I can probably still just about play.

I learnt from the 1960's school recorder book, can anyone recommend a more up to date book possibly with a tutor guide?

TIA

morethanpotatoprints Fri 22-Feb-13 10:48:42

Hi Molly.

I haven't done in a while but I used to teach small groups in schools.
A good place to start is your local music shop. They can be more expensive than ebay or amazon but to begin with it helps to know what the books contain.

I wouldn't spend more on a tutor guide as most books are pretty self explanatory and as you've played before, you'll soon pick it up again.
Look for one with a fingering chart that explains basic notation and basic theory as you go along. Personally, I would avoid the type that have modern pop tunes as they tend not to include much in the way of explanation. The traditional books are great and its amazing what folky, traditional type of songs our dc actually recognise.
Sorry I can't recommend any particular book.

MollyNollyNoo Fri 22-Feb-13 19:58:10

Thank you...there is a very child friendly music shop near my parents (our local one mostly sells electrical stuff and expensive guitars), we're off to have a look next week.

homeedmama Mon 25-Feb-13 21:05:55

We use a book called 'Recorder from the beginning' (Book 1) by John Pitts. Its designed for children of 7 upwards, although my DD started it at 6. It was recommended by our local music shop and is their most popular beginner book. I am useless at music and reading music etc, I was truely rubbish at recorder at school, but its clearly set out and even I can follow it and help DD with it.....so far anyway!
Good luck! Oh yes, we bought the version with a CD, which is a little more expensive I think but means you can play along to the tunes.

MollyNollyNoo Mon 04-Mar-13 19:16:02

We have John Pitts in the house now too, I did buy a copy of the school recorder book 1 as well (partly for old times sake because it was only a few pounds), it is actually quite good for explaining the basics of music theory. John Pitts is much more on DD's level though.

givemeaclue Tue 05-Mar-13 10:02:40

I an teaching my five year olds (not home ed) to play recorder and read music. So far so good

TheBriefestNameChange Tue 12-Mar-13 22:25:31

I am teaching my stepson (who is not home ed) using John Pitts. He is 7 and getting on well with the first book. One thing that helped me massively was downloading a metronome app for my phone as I discovered that whilst I can still play I now struggle with rhythms and lengths of notes. It has also helped him get to grips with clapping out rhythms etc.

I am loving re-discovering my recorder playing skills and was amazed at how quickly it all came back to me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now