Starting home ed with my 15 year old son...HELP!

(3 Posts)
emsylou Thu 13-Dec-12 09:38:34

I will try and be brief...My son has an asd diagnosis and has always had a statement at school and with the pressure of year 10 and GCSEs his placement at school was starting to breakdown and we opted for home ed after a long and thought out process as he was falling back into negative old behaviours and would have ended up permanently excluded. so here we are on our home ed journey two months in and I am really not feeling like Im doing enough and finding it really hard to motivate him at all. My son does forest school all day on a monday...on a wednesday a home ed group with activities all afternoon and thursdays he has an outdoor science and nature session for 2 and a half hours...fridays and tuesdays he writes a story as he wants to publish a book of short stories. He sleeps a lot (currently 6ft 5 inches tall and growing...very tired all the time). I have two other children...a12 year old daughter who is in secondary school who loves school and a 9 month old baby who hasnt slept very much since he was born.
My son has been in local authority schooling since he was four and I am trying to help him engage in various activities which he is reluctant to do....although he has said he wants to learn to cook but when i offer to do that with him its never the right time for him. Im a single parent and feeling like Im failing him and am interested in waht other people are doing in the wider home education circles. Sorry about the waffly presentation of this post.

emsylou Thu 13-Dec-12 09:41:02

p.s. I have tried to encourage him to get involved with duke of edinburugh award....conservation voluntary work, drumming and have made many many more suggestions.

FionaJNicholson Thu 13-Dec-12 20:02:10

It's probably as much as he can handle for now. Sounds fine to me. (I have a 19 year old who has never been to school and who is still home ed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now