Crafty arty stuff, how and where?

(9 Posts)
catnipkitty Fri 09-Nov-12 11:02:41

Oh and have lots of usbourne make and do books and get ideas from tv progs that the girls watch too.

catnipkitty Fri 09-Nov-12 11:02:06

We do alot of crafty arty stuff ...get supplies from supermarkets, poundshops, local post office sometimes good, Lidl is fab for coloured paper and pens/pencils etc. usually ask for supplies for presents for birthdays, xmas etc. We usually do omething crafty to go with the season/tie of year - for instance we've just made poppies and poppy pictures, firework pics with glitter, Halloween decorations, autumn colour painting. I look on Blogs and websites for ideas.

rainbowbrite1980 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:26:50

There are loads of parenty crafty blogs out there that will give you ideas (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to them but google and see), we take loads of inspiration from them and if you're stuck then googling "making paper chains" etc is always helpful! What about starting some christmas crafts? Making Christmas cards? Decorations (paper snowflakes, felt tree decorations, toilet roll tube christmas crackers), or even home made presents? We've just done blow painting firework pictures for bonfire night, painted pumpkins, painted autumn leaves, made collages, etc for Autumn.

ClareMarriott Mon 05-Nov-12 17:19:29

The making of paper chains. Cut any coloured paper you have into roughly 12 cm long and about 2cm wide strips . Glue the ends together. Get next strip of paper link through the first one and glue. Carry on for how ever long you want the chain to be. Good luck

sashh Sun 04-Nov-12 22:27:09

My local art gallery has days where children can go in to do various art projects. Although they are in school holidays so not for a while now. But there might be something near you.

Odd rolls of wallpaper are great for drawing on the back.

How about linking to something else she is studying (what age) maybe historical costume, or drawing maps or.........

maggi Fri 02-Nov-12 22:49:14

Try looking in your local council website to locate your nearest scrap store. These cost a few pounds a year to become members (varies by council ours =£11pa). You can then take (cost depends on membership type again - can be £1 per carrier bag or free if you upgrade your membership) items from thier stores. This can be huge rolls of paper, offcuts of fabric, corks, old film cases, the list is endless and depends what local factories throw out. Ours also sells new items at much reduced prices, such as, clay, brushes, paints etc. The buildings tend to be hidden away and the opening hours wierd but it is well worth the effort to get huge quantities of art supplies cheaply. My only problem is storing it all until it is used by eager children building cars and houses for calculators! (yes calculators this term)

morethanpotatoprints Fri 02-Nov-12 22:07:13

I haven't got any grand crafty ideas but buy all our bits and pieces from poundshop, poundland, b&m, home bargains, wilco, but mostly the works.
These are the cheapest shops and some sell cheap books with craft ideas.
We have a large box where we keep all packing, loo rolls, bits and pieces and scraps. It won't cost much to get a stash together.
I'd second encouraging recycling. Plastic tubs are a good idea too.

sliceofcakenowplease Fri 02-Nov-12 20:39:13

Some easy creative things for Art

- Collage. There's many ways- for the under 8s or so, collect material, or possibly leaves etc;, and get them to makea collage or something. For older students, get them to use pieces of cut up paper. Involve this in art by having a look at Chuck Close. Very simple to understand ideas, but creative, although only for the older ones.

Otherwise, are there paint-a-pot type places? Look them up in a local directory. Take her there, and she can paint a pot/tea set/ etc;

It really depends how old she is. I'd also advise linking it with other lessons. Try teaching her a bit about Native Americans- she can make a dreamcatcher (easy to make) or a headdress. Maybe teach her about recycling, then do creative recycling things- clothes peg magnets (very easy), decorating a bag, make grocery bag kites (again, quite easy), pencil holders.

IslaValargeone Fri 02-Nov-12 15:04:52

I am beyond shocking at anything remotely artistic, but have promised dc we will do more this year (although as she pointed out, doing any would be a start)
I really need some pointers as to what kind of things we can make, how to make them and where to buy stuff from. She wanted to make paper chain figures the other day and as I haven't done that since my school days, I couldn't remember confused
She played with clay at someone's house a few weeks ago, so now I have to buy clay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now