Finding a pen pal?

(9 Posts)
catnipkitty Wed 27-Jun-12 12:43:48

DD1 8 yrs old would like a penpal from abroad and DD2 7yrs would like a penpal from Scotland. Both 'snail mail' rather than email. Any suggestions as to how to find someone? Or do you know anyone who would be interested? we tried Global Penpals website but found it wasn't much good and you have to pay and most websites seem to be the same!

Thanks
C x

mumnosbest Wed 27-Jun-12 13:40:36

theres a thread on here somewhere, matching up children to be penpals.

mumof4darlings Tue 03-Jul-12 18:54:05

If on fb we have a he penpal group.

Maamaa Thu 05-Jul-12 11:13:42

I remember I used to write to people through the IYS when I was a kid but looks like it's gone now. Do you live somewhere that has a twinning association? They might be a good place to start, or if you're involved in your local church they may have contacts through charity work? Good luck, I really enjoyed having penpals as a child and it's something I'll be encouraging my daughter to do when she's old enough.

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 11-Jul-12 14:03:20

I fondly remember IYS. Do you have family living in other parts of the country? DS1 is writing to a cousin in the Netherlands at the moment, but we are lucky that she speaks English etc.

I had about 20 pen pals at my peak and a few I just met randomly in parks and things, tourists children.

heather1 Thu 03-Jan-13 22:28:10

Hi, Im an English Mum living in Switzerland, I have an 8 yo DS who I am going to start Home Schooling (I hope so anyway, a bit nervous!). He loves Star Wars, Lego, gardening and playing outside. Im hoping to find a penpal for snail mail. If you think you child would be interested in writing to my son please message me.
He may not write too much initially but we can enclose stickerS, photos of where we live and information about our area!
TIA

alanyoung Wed 23-Jan-13 16:56:02

Find some schools in the country you would like and write to the head teachers explaining your needs and asking if anyone would be interested. Because of the need to avoid child grooming, the school you write to will probably require some evidence that your request is genuine, so tell them that you can verify your situation by contacting your local school, solicitor etc.

monsterchild Wed 23-Jan-13 16:59:11

Catnipkitty, my Dsd is 7 and loves writing letters. We live in the US, let me know if your dd would like an American penpal.

We live in Australia and ds2 is 8, nearly 9. If you haven't found a penpal yet he would probably be interested. He finds handwriting tiring so I don't suppose the letters will be very long but it will be good practice for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now