faux wood wallpaper?

(21 Posts)
SimonNeilshair Sat 26-Nov-16 09:10:30

Has anyone used it? I'm thinking of using it in our master bedroom, for a cosy rustic feel.

My concerns are that it will just look fake, also what colours would go with it? I'd like avoid red. I prefer blues and greens normally but this may not give the cosy feel I hope to achieve confused

AlanThicke Sat 26-Nov-16 09:36:28

I have to be honest, I can't imagine that looking nice, except possibly in a very ironic, overtly fake, retro type of way.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 26-Nov-16 09:38:14

I've only ever seen the plasticised stuff, which looked tacky. If you can find one you like, maybe get a sample before you fork out for it!

If you do go for it, maybe browns and pale gold colours?

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sat 26-Nov-16 09:57:16

Not keen on fake wood but really like some of the tree wallpapers - would give a rustic but less retro feel?

ZoFloMoFo Sat 26-Nov-16 09:58:29

Noooo don't do it.

NicknameUsed Sat 26-Nov-16 10:03:04

No. It sounds hideous. The sort of decor that House Doctor would have a field day with.

Could you post a link to it?

SimonNeilshair Sat 26-Nov-16 10:42:13

blush it would only be on the bed head wall, I was hoping more for a log cabin vibe than a 70s diner feel grin

I've ordered a few samples, here's a example of one I like

KookSpook Sat 26-Nov-16 10:45:53

Go for it.

ZoFloMoFo Sat 26-Nov-16 10:46:21

No, still no.

KookSpook Sat 26-Nov-16 10:46:28

I love it.

llangennith Sat 26-Nov-16 10:47:43

I just don't like wallpaper confused

SimonNeilshair Sat 26-Nov-16 10:47:47

Kook thank you! I really love the bottom picture, although would only have it on the one wall!

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 26-Nov-16 10:52:07

Sorry, no. But it's your room!

KookSpook Sat 26-Nov-16 10:52:54

It was on here www.housetohome.co.uk/room-idea/picture/10-summer-bedroom-designs/2

I love wallpaper. Im in a new build & have loads of textured wallpaper to go up. I admit most of it is white, some grey but its texture is nicer than a flat wall to me.

You can always take it down.

NicknameUsed Sat 26-Nov-16 11:00:30

Um, it isn't to my taste, but does it matter? It's your house, and if you aren't planning on putting it on the market any time soon then go for it.

I prefer plain painted walls because I am boring

SimonNeilshair Sat 26-Nov-16 11:00:51

Yeah thats true, I just want a nice room! We live in an old victorian farm workers cottage, I kind of want to stay true to the house, but at the same time I just want a lovely grown up room that is restful and relaxing. Our ideal holiday is probably a log cabin in the woods so trying to create that makes sense to me smile

it's the first time in 6 years that we have had the chance to decorate our room and I want to get it right. We've been living with the previous owners anaglypta wallpaper so anything will seem an improvement I'm sure grin

KookSpook Sat 26-Nov-16 12:23:44

Keep everything else light in there, including bedding. I wouldnt have any patterened curtains or duvet covers.

Qwebec Sun 27-Nov-16 01:36:00

Instead if wallpaper, why not do it with real planks? For the rustic look you don't need expensive wood and there are tutorials all over the web.

SimonNeilshair Sun 27-Nov-16 07:51:02

I did think about that, the wall it is going on to is lath and plaster though and it's impossible to drill into and fix things to it.

I also like this wood panelling (without the nautical accessories ) I'm just not sure we can do it sad

NicknameUsed Sun 27-Nov-16 09:16:43

That looks much nicer than the wallpaper.

Qwebec Fri 02-Dec-16 03:57:10

Sorry for the late response. I looked it up and the done thing for paneling over plaster seems to be glue. www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03jul28h.cfm

It is not easy over a none flat wall but feasable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now