Tiny bedroom - help

(10 Posts)
Cheeseburgler Wed 26-Oct-16 16:33:21

My new flat is very small. Bedroom is tiny; it measures about 3x3 metres. I have a double bed in there and now there is no room to put a wardrobe or chest of drawers. Can this even be marketed by estate agents as a double bedroom?
I had to take this flat as I was in a rush to find a place and it is well kept and clean. The only drawback is that it's tiny. I honestly can't understand how they can build a flat which has no storage space at all. Where do they think people can put stuff like a vacuum cleaner, suitcases etc?

The bedroom did look very small unfurnished but I didn't have a good idea until I had a bed put in there. I also have a storage heater that's taking up space and the landlord put some cabinets on the walls so am I right in thinking I'd have to put the wardrobe in the living room... is that too weird? Thanks.

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Wed 26-Oct-16 16:36:38

I'd hate a living room with a wardrobe in! How about a storage bed? Do you have a coat cupboard you could hang stuff in that desperately needs hanging? Maybe have a look on Pinterest at tiny bedrooms. New builds especially have very little regard for space don't they.

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Wed 26-Oct-16 16:38:35

Also have a look at the fancy static caravan layouts they have some great space saving ideas!

JoJoSM2 Wed 26-Oct-16 16:39:29

Admittedly, that's a very small room but there are ways around it.

How big is your double bed? A standard U.K. Double is 135cm so if you have no frame that sticks out + a wall mounted headboard, you'd have enough space for a wardrobe, particularly if the bed is in the corner. Sliding doors are better for access. You can also get storage bed bases - you lift the mattress and have tons of space underneath + you can install shelves above the bed.

Cheeseburgler Wed 26-Oct-16 17:27:25

I don't have a cupboard where you hang coats sad

Yes, it's a standard double bed but has a frame with a headboard. I could probably buy those things you put under the feet to gain some space underneath as storage.

I don't like the bed put in a corner as the other person sleeping needs to disturb the other to get in and out of bed. I also have it in front of the storage heater as the way the room is designed with the placement of the window and door there was no other choice.

Mainly I need space to hang stuff. Not everything can be folded.

JoJoSM2 Thu 27-Oct-16 16:15:44

Yeah... If you want to be able to walk around the bed then a proper wardrobe will be trade off. You could get a slim line wardrobe from ikea (or elsewhere -37cm deep) with pull out rails - that would still leave you with 60cm to walk around the bed.

Here are photos of the items I mean.

notagiraffe Thu 27-Oct-16 16:29:12

Use over door hangers for dressing gowns/next days clothes. Like this one

and underbed storage on casters like this?

Lemond1fficult Thu 27-Oct-16 16:34:41

What about a freestanding clothes rail? I love them - you can fit so much more stuff than a normal wardrobe. Argos do a white or black heavy duty one for c.£20. (Wouldn't recommend anything flimsier).

Ikea also have the Algot system, which is vertical rails you screw to the wall, then add shelves/rails/baskets as needed. I'm planning on getting them myself as soon as I sort the motivation!

moomin183 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:57:07

I had a tiny bedroom in my first flat. I used to store clothes and shoes under the bed in plastic crates but the faff of pulling them in and out one by one trying to find a particular item drove me crazy. I ended up selling my bed frame and buying a loft bed. Assuming your ceilings are not too low a loft bed could provide you with enough space underneath for a chest of drawers and possibly a half height wardrobe or clothes rail. It took some getting used to, but I had chest of drawers for stuff to be folded away, a clothes rail to hang things up and enough room left over for a narrow table with mirror above to do hair/make up. I appreciate loft beds are not to everyone's tastes...but they do free up quite a lot of room...wishing you luck in finding what works for you and happiness in your new home!

Yewtown Sun 30-Oct-16 09:27:04

Would a corner wardrobe fit? Corners can sometimes be dead space. I think ikea do one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now