Lounge paint colour - please help!

(11 Posts)
spencermoon Wed 19-Oct-16 08:24:10

I'm in the process of redecorating our lounge but am struggling with a paint colour.

It's a reasonably big room with bay windows either end. There's a chimney breast in the middle of one wall with an oak beam and a black modern log burner and tiles behind. There's partly glass doors through to the kitchen/diner which are overtly olive and (I think!) natural hessian.

We're keeping the cream carpet and our curtains and having new dark grey sofas.

My normal strategy is cream and feature wall but think I'd prefer to go for one colour throughout this time. I'm looking for something neutral but maybe not cream?

I've added some pics. Thanks in advance for your wise advice!

cosmicglittergirl Wed 19-Oct-16 08:26:39

I like your top tester patch. Go for a pale sage.

FrickOnAStick Wed 19-Oct-16 08:32:44

The top or bottom colour on your tester patches. The middle two greys are too cool toned for your curtains.

nannybeach Wed 19-Oct-16 09:42:16

pale green, why are you having grey sofas when there is no grey in the curtains, should you not "pick up" one of the colours from the curtains?

spencermoon Wed 19-Oct-16 12:47:19

Thanks. This is really helpful feedback.

Sofa wise - There's charcoal grey in the outlines of the curtains so they match in with that. The plan was then to match in the other colours with cushions etc

Rupster Wed 19-Oct-16 13:28:53

Looking at the tester paint picture, I like the existing wall colour the best!

Rupster Wed 19-Oct-16 13:30:50

... but I think the top or bottom colours would look nice under your dado rail. Don't think the two middle colours go well with the curtain, and I don't think your sofa will either :-(

FrickOnAStick Wed 19-Oct-16 14:18:59

I think a charcoal sofa will be fine, so long as it's warm toned enough. Picking a colour out of the curtains for the sofa would leave it looking a bit matchy matchy, like a spread from the Next catalogue.

Coloured cushions is a good way to tone it in but still avoid the naff "showhome" look. charcoal is a good neutral and given that a sofa is a long term investment, you want something that will stand the test of time and go with various colour scheme changes.

Ditsy4 Fri 21-Oct-16 22:10:55

I like the lichen green shade, the top one.

langlandgirl Sun 23-Oct-16 08:39:35

top one - def my favourite

spencermoon Mon 24-Oct-16 17:48:50

Thanks everyone...that's my favourite too. Can't wait to get cracking now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now