Please talk me through how to paint my newly plastered walls.

(23 Posts)
Bagina Fri 14-Oct-16 19:52:25

Ok, so please advise what I need to do! What does my first coat need to be? Painting the whole thing white. What paint is reasonably priced but still good? I don't want to get this wrong!

Goosewings Fri 14-Oct-16 21:13:46

Paint with a basic white emulsion first and then at least two coats of the colour of paint you want to use. When you are rolling a shot glass of water mixed well into the paint in the tray helps it go on much smoother.
Edge around corners and light sockets etc first and then roll as close as you can to the corners too so you can't see the brush marks.
No idea on pricing I'm afraid.
It takes longer than you think but can be therapeutic.
Have white spirit on hand before you even think about opening a can of paint (although emulsion wipes off mist smooth surfaces with a damp cloth)
Brushes and rollers with water based paint on can be stored by wrapping in cling film over night.
Oil based paint (for wood or gloss) can be stored in a cup of water.
That's all I know!

Goosewings Fri 14-Oct-16 21:14:06

Oh and good luck!

purplefizz26 Fri 14-Oct-16 21:15:17

Google about mist coating first!
White emulsion and water.

Then a couple of good thick coats of your colour

Whitecovers Fri 14-Oct-16 21:16:26

When we painted ours we bought Matt white paint and watered it down for the first coat or 2. Then two coats of whatever colour we was using.

nemno Fri 14-Oct-16 21:18:06

Yup, a mist coat is vital according to my excellent decorator who has just done this for me. My builder agrees.

dalmatianmad Fri 14-Oct-16 21:18:29

Watered down emulsion for the first coat, newly plastered walls are like a sponge and literally soak the first coat....

PoppyPicklesPenguin Fri 14-Oct-16 21:21:39

Watered down PVA glue was recommended to me before the first coat of paint, this stops the sponge effect too.

MissClarke86 Fri 14-Oct-16 21:28:39

PVA glue is a complete no no according to most tradesmen now. Something to do with not letting the plaster breathe.

Mist coating with watered down cheap emulsion is enough before top coats. It just soaks in and stops the plaster absorbing all of your expensive paint, that's all really.

80sMum Fri 14-Oct-16 21:29:08

Cheap white emulsion, watered down, is what should go onto bare plaster. I wouldn't recommend using PVA, as it won't be sufficiently absorbed into the plaster, it will just sit on the surface, which would make the top coat less durable imo.

newmumwithquestions Fri 14-Oct-16 21:29:52

We've just renovated so have done lots of painting. Mist coat first (50/50 emulsion/water). You get what you pay for with paint, also where are the walls? If kitchen/bathroom then do get kitchen/bathroom paint.

Finally check if the paint is water soluble- if so there isn't need for white spirit. It's bad for the environment and a lot of paints are water soluble these days so you can wash rollers, etc in the sink.

Err I know this is hopefully obvious but I assume the plaster is fully dry? Make sure it is before you do any painting!

80sMum Fri 14-Oct-16 21:30:06

Crossed posts missClarke!

Iggity Fri 14-Oct-16 21:30:07

You need to keep applying the mist coats until walls stop absorbing the paint. Then paint with your actual colour. We found it took about three mist coats. One won't be enough otherwise you will just waste your undiluted wall colour paint if you make it your second coat.

newmumwithquestions Fri 14-Oct-16 21:31:54

Agree on not using pva - you pva brick walls before plastering - maybe that's where it's come from?

Bagina Fri 14-Oct-16 21:44:41

Great! Thank you. How do I mix the mist coat? Sorry if that's a silly question.

newmumwithquestions Fri 14-Oct-16 22:23:26

You'll need to stir up your paint when you open it as it settles a bit - wooden spoon handle or something like that works fine.
Just use the same thing but in your roller tray.
Also don't worry about getting it exactly 50/50 - we used cheap emulsion for the mist coat so 50/50 was about right, if you use thicker paint you'll need a bit more water but its pretty forgiving - just pour some paint in and pour some water.

chattygranny Fri 14-Oct-16 22:33:32

I agree about watered down first coat being essential on new plaster. I enthusiastically painted the ceiling of our new knocked through family room (about 9 metres long) years ago, took whole school day. Stood back to admire and it peeled off from one end to the other on top of my head. Funny now but not at the time!

stayathomegardener Fri 14-Oct-16 22:43:55

Dulux trade super Matt designed for fresh plaster.
Yes to a mist coat, good step ladder and a hat to stop the splatters in your hair.

PoppyPicklesPenguin Fri 14-Oct-16 22:50:45

good to know on the PVA was a builder who told me, shall not be doing this if that's the case.

Bagina Sat 15-Oct-16 06:24:39

Thanks all! I'm feeling prepared now. A few more questions please: ideally how long do you leave the new plaster to dry? If it's pink, is it ready to paint? Do you leave it 24 hours after applying the mist coat?

Also my I've taken the paper off the ceiling that's probably been there for 50 years; do I just sand and paint? Does it need a mist coat? The plaster looks perfect. Thank you!

FlamingoSnuffle Sat 15-Oct-16 09:37:44

I highly recommend using Leyland laytex paint designed for new plaster. We used it in our kitchen extension, walls and ceilings.

It covers incredibly well
Designed for new plaster
No dilution required
2 coats and completely covers wall
I did not paint over it after the initial 2 coats so I left the walls white
It has been on for 3 years still looks incredible

I bought mine from screwfix, no watering down just cut in and roller it on.

I did need help carrying it to the car as it is a 15ltr tub but the people in screwfix are always incredibly helpful. I tend to use trade places rather than B&Q, firstly it is usually cheaper and secondly the people using trade places are in the trade so their reviews are very honest.

www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-super-leytex-matt-paint-brilliant-white-15ltr/60248

FlamingoSnuffle Sat 15-Oct-16 09:40:35

Oh and you can use it on still slightly damp plaster! They do say don't use it as a final coat but I did for the ceiling and one wall of my kitchen. Like I said, 3 years on and still looks pristine.

Bagina Sat 15-Oct-16 11:57:15

Thank you! DH lives at screwfix, so will have a look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now