Is £10,000 enough to redecorate throughout?

(25 Posts)
sleepfortheweak Fri 07-Oct-16 16:56:33

Would be looking to get new kitchen, re decorate living room (walls and ceiling, new curtains etc), strip wood chip wallpaper from hall/landing and paint and put down new carpet, redecorate 3 bedrooms (strip current paper, repaper/paint and new carpets/curtains etc)

Also looking to increase room size by knocking through some storagecupboards.

Quite small rooms - wouldn't be looking for top spec but would like it looking nice and modern throughout.

Is £10,000 unrealistic?

idontlikealdi Fri 07-Oct-16 16:57:40

We paid something crazy like £4K to have a mid size mid terrace redecorated downstairs - just painted and the handrail on the stairs.

Are you doing the work yourself?

idontlikealdi Fri 07-Oct-16 16:58:27

Sorry pressed send too soon. Yes I think you're probably being unrealistic, that's quite a bit of work.

AnyFucker Fri 07-Oct-16 16:58:38

Would you be doing the labour yourself. ...if so, that is possible if you source the materials carefully and look for deals/bargains

If a tradesman is going to do it...no chance

SunnySomer Fri 07-Oct-16 17:00:41

I would have said so, but are you doing all the work yourselves? Are you quite relaxed about the quality of what you buy? (Eg happy to have quite cheap carpet). Are you buying white goods for the kitchen or just units?
It would be incredibly tight.

firawla Fri 07-Oct-16 17:05:38

I don't think it's realistic if you want a new kitchen and to knock things through. For just overall decorating and a bit of new furniture maybe, but you won't get a kitchen on its own for much under 10k?

sleepfortheweak Fri 07-Oct-16 17:06:28

We'd be getting tradesmen to do the work.

Hmm - may have to prioritise what's to be done!

worriedmother1929 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:09:23

DH and I have redecorated entire house coming in well under £3000!!!! We did everything that we could ourselves, and getting help from DC where needed.

ImperialBlether Fri 07-Oct-16 17:11:10

Yes, worriedmother, but the OP's talking about a new kitchen and carpets etc on top.

worriedmother1929 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:11:40

Paying tradesmen to hang wallpaper/paint is a massive waste of money. It took us two weekends to redecorate the bottom half of our house. Strip/hang wallpaper one Saturday, give it a week and re-paint the next weekend.

worriedmother1929 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:12:31

Imperial the only real cost should be the kitchen. Fitting carpets, painting etc is easily done by yourself at home.

ThisLittlePiggyHadRoastBeef Fri 07-Oct-16 17:13:09

Think it would be 2 bedrooms instead of 3.

We got a quote for the work in the hall and landing including materials for £900, then probably the same again for carpet? No new carpet needed for living room.

We would want one double cupboard knocked through to make one of the bedrooms slightly bigger.

Would be borrowing the money so would have to stay working budget

ThisLittlePiggyHadRoastBeef Fri 07-Oct-16 17:14:48

The only difficulty in painting would be some areas which can't be reached without a professional ladder (above stairs)

That - and neither me or DH at handy at all!

worriedmother1929 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:16:33

Myself and DH were not handy the first time we did it. It takes practice and you'll cock some of it up massively (I'm talking wallpaper faking on us as we slept), but it saves so much money!

MumiTravels Fri 07-Oct-16 17:18:17

I'd get the stuff done first that's going to be builders/trades work so kitchen and knock through.

Then start on the decorating and floors. You could do one room at a time once you have enough money for it.

SleepForTheWeak Fri 07-Oct-16 17:25:07

We are intending to borrow the money so will have £10,000 to use on the whole house.

Will have to get quoted from different tradesmen

Nikki2ol6 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:39:40

If you are doing all your own work then that's enough money. However If you are hiring people then no way, can get a. Ice kitchen for around £2000 from IKEA. But it's flat packed !

eyebrowsonfleek Fri 07-Oct-16 17:39:47

If you do the easy bits like painting, taking up the carpet and stripping maybe. Ex took a weekend course in plastering and became good enough to skim interior walls which saved us thousands and made the dust easier to bear. (The dust from replacing the ceiling was shock)
If you're talking about flooring from B&Q and kitchen from Ikea then it will depend on the size of your house.

ayeokthen Fri 07-Oct-16 17:40:56

For tradesmen I'd say yes it is unrealistic, unfortunately. If you're doing a lot yourselves and only getting tradesmen in for some it's doable.

LyndaNotLinda Fri 07-Oct-16 17:46:28

No, I don't think that's remotely realistic unless you do 90% of the donkey work yourselves. And even then it'll be tight

SleepForTheWeak Fri 07-Oct-16 18:12:07

Oh dear confused

SleepForTheWeak Fri 07-Oct-16 19:32:15

Do you think the cost will change depending on your area? For tradesmen?

ggirl Fri 07-Oct-16 21:52:20

Nope not realistic if you're not doing yourself

wowfudge Sat 08-Oct-16 17:46:05

It's unrealistic to think you'll do everything at once with a limited budget and few skills. Prioritise the things you want to do and take a longer term view. Kitchens and bathrooms get a lot of use so look to sort those out first. Decorating you can do room by room - you can probably paint over some of the wallpaper without needing to strip in and re-paper and paint. Buy a decent primer and cut down on needing to sand before re-painting woodwork. Watch 'how to' videos on YouTube and you'll develop your skills and gain confidence in your own abilities.

JoJoSM2 Sat 08-Oct-16 22:56:21

i agree - won't work if you're paying for all the labour. Also, once the woodchip has been stripped, you might need to have everything replastered depending on the state of your walls.

However, it's also possible to do things on the cheap - in our last house, we re did the kitchen in the industrial style - we purchased only 3 stainless steel units + 1 wooden worktop from idea for under 1k. We added lots of open shelving and freestanding appliances. Including tiles, lights, cabinets, appliances etc all the materials cost under 3k and the kitchen looked very funky, was very practical and got lots of compliments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now