Graphite colored kitchen

(4 Posts)
user1474895415 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:18:31

Hi, I'm considering getting a graphite colored kitchen (shaker style) with light white/grey Quartz worktops. Floor will be light grey tiles. I like it....but What do you think of graphite? Will it make the whole room too dark? Too bold? Date quickly? Help me make a decision please

namechangedtoday15 Mon 26-Sep-16 16:49:51

We are literally in the process of having the kitchen installed - units are in, just waiting for the work tops.

I think it depends on quite a few things - how big is the space, how much light do you have, what is the actual design of the kitchen, what you're having on the walls / floors etc.

We have just extended so have a big open plan kitchen diner - about 6m x 7m with bifold doors, velux etc so it is quite big and light. We have a run of units down one wall (part just base units, then a bank of tall appliance housing units) and then a large island, in frame style. Run of units is "soft grey" - a light grey, and the island unit is "charcoal" (very dark grey). Similar quartz worktop (marble effect), all white walls at the moment and engineered oak on the floor.

Yes I think dark grey is bold, and yes, it will probably date in a few years, but so will most kitchens unless you go really bland (and I didn't want that). I love it, and its my house smile.

Having said that, I think having all of the kitchen very dark grey, even in quite a big light room, especially if you're going to have tall units and / or wall units, would have been over-powering. It might have been too dark.

user1474895415 Mon 26-Sep-16 21:39:36

Thank you for replying name-changed! Our kitchen sounds similar dimensions to yours, bifolds too, and an island. I will have high larder cupboards surrounding a stainless steel f/f, and wall cabinets along one wall. Even still, I still like the idea of graphite doors, with a light floor and light Quartz. But I often have questionable style ideas and want to see what MN would say. Trouble is, it's with Wren kitchens, and because I want real wood timber shaker doors, the only colors I can choose are sage green, alabaster and graphite (oak wood is also an option but that's a definite no no for me). So I can't choose a lighter grey. Do I do it?? It's an expensive mistake if j get it wrong 😁

namechangedtoday15 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:44:11

Have you googled charcoal kitchens on houzz and pinterest? Also do Wren have a "real life kitchens" section on their website so you can see if anyone has done anything similar?

Out of those colour choices, I'd go with charcoal too I think smile - just be clever with the lighting / everything else to lighten it up. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now