Playroom storage furniture that's not IKEA?

(19 Posts)
seri0usly Sun 18-Sep-16 14:20:00

Looking for something different to trofast/kallax/expedit. Any ideas?

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 18-Sep-16 14:24:41

shock shock shock

They are the ONLY choices!

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 18-Sep-16 14:26:00

Verbaudet has something similar to the kallax range, various different box options etc. Oh but maybe you don't want something similar to IKEA stuff if you're asking for alternatives? There's lots of nice furniture in charity shops round here. We have an old double school desk (the ones where the lids open up), I'm thinking of chopping the legs off to make it a bit more kid-height.

seri0usly Mon 19-Sep-16 14:46:49

That sounds lovely!

I do like the cube idea so the style is fine but just looking for something made from mdf or wood so that any knocks or scrapes can be painted over

Is absolutely everyone using IKEA then?! I can see why, it's so easy, but find the finish ruins quite quickly

NapQueen Mon 19-Sep-16 14:49:20

The trofast stuff is perfect for playrooms. Smaller drawers and bigger ones. Different colour tubs. Can label them.

We've had the 3 tier one and the single width medium height one for a out 2 years now and they are still in excellent condition- what exactly are your dcs doing to them to wreck them?

I find the Kallax more pleasing on the eye but the tubs are too big for anything other than playmobil or lego so we use ours for clothes mainly.

MiaowTheCat Tue 20-Sep-16 20:57:13

My house looks tidy since I kallaxed up all the kids stuff - they know that a box is for lego, trainset etc. I love the stuff.

LugsTheDog Tue 20-Sep-16 23:32:35

I've read blogs by people who spent £££ on "nicer"alternatives to kallax, and everyone always assumes they are ikea! I agree with Napqueen that trofast is better than kallax when they are toddlers, but once they move on from mainly "toys" ie small world/dolls/superheroes, to "games" ie stuff in cardboard boxes, suddenly kallax was preferable.

Another option is find some nice deep bookshelves with adjustable shelves, and some boxes to fit. There's also GLTC - beautiful but very expensive compared with ikea.

ceeveebee Tue 20-Sep-16 23:38:43

We got a similar thing from Jojo maman Bebe and also have some GLTC stuff.

AnyTheWiser Tue 20-Sep-16 23:42:03

GLTC have some nice storage. The White Company also have nice furniture that is similar.

LBOCS2 Tue 20-Sep-16 23:55:34

I was going to suggest GLTC or Vertbaudet.

But IKEA does the same job and is cheaper...

27yummymummy Sat 24-Sep-16 11:42:17

I ordered this yesterday for the playroom: www.thelittlefurnitureco.co.uk/collections/furniture/products/liberty-house-toys-princess-bench-with-3-fabric-bins

The toy boxes look really cute too. I usually go to Ikea too but wanted something a bit funner this time and also something where they can reach all the drawers themselves.

seri0usly Sat 24-Sep-16 13:58:10

Thanks for the suggestions all. Think we'll go for GLTC once the release a 20% off code. We wanted white as the playroom is open plan to our lounge. I haven't found anything better.

Artandco Sat 24-Sep-16 14:04:00

'A place for everything' has some nice storage

Lovemylittlebear Sat 24-Sep-16 14:13:56

Ah I love the GLTC toy storeage furniture just checked it out. How would you find out about 20 percent off promo code? X

user1471457251 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:16:49

Word of caution about GLTC, we have a one of the storage units with baskets and its worn really badly, far worse than all of our ikea stuff - see pic

BoaConstrictor Sat 24-Sep-16 14:27:39

Friends have the GLTC stuff and it has worn badly.
I came on as I don't want cubes, I want longer shelves so I can put the toot toot garage or the Playmobil school on but bookshelves won't work as they're not deep enough.

Lovemylittlebear Sat 24-Sep-16 14:31:05

Oh no sad that's not good. Do those lovely cube boxes fit in the ikea range does anyone know?

starsinyourpies Sat 24-Sep-16 14:40:22

We have GLTC with their soft cubes and it's worn really well.

seri0usly Sat 24-Sep-16 14:49:06

You can repaint GLTC though? As its mdf?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now