Non matching or matching sofas?

(7 Posts)
flupcake Sat 17-Sep-16 22:35:01

Advice please!
I need to get new sofas for our living room. The sofas will be next to each other in a L shape, and both will be two seater as due to the window and doorway they can't be any wider. (I can't have a corner sofa because it would be in front of a bay window so it would look odd).

So my question is, would it be better to have the sofas matching or mismatched? Originally I had thought matching would be neater, but now I am thinking it might overpower the room (which isn't huge).
DH is quite keen on leather as its so easy to keep clean with DCs, but I worry it looks a bit dated.
Or a compromise could be one leather sofa (the one the DCs mainly use), and the other a fabric sofa in a nice contrasting colour?

I've looked online for ideas but most suggest one sofa and two armchairs which wouldn't work for a family of 5....

The style we both quite like is mid-century.

Any tips welcomed! I've never bought new sofas before and am scared of the wrong decision.

Qwebec Sun 18-Sep-16 02:52:30

erinwilliamsondesign.com/design-crisis/too-match-or-not-to-match-that-is-the-question
mismached can look way better, but is also much more difficult to get right
I i were you I would get them from the same place and ask the store to place them side by side to see. leather andfabric seems a good idea.

Qwebec Sun 18-Sep-16 02:53:52

I just googled mismached sofas, many great examples, better than the link.

cexuwaleozbu Sun 18-Sep-16 03:17:05

Have you considered getting a bay-window friendly corner sofa custom made? It's not as expensive as you might think - yes it's not bargain-basement but most sofas are made to-order when you buy them rather than being factory-made on production line in advance so a custom product may be only a modest amount more than the price brackets you see in the showrooms. Look at the sketches towards the bottom of the page at www.sofamagic.co.uk/corner-sofas - could something like that work? If your bay window doesn't go right to the corner of the room, how big a triangle would be cut off if a 45 degree bit of sofa continued out from the bay window to the wall? if it wouldn't be too huge you could put a standard lamp there or perhaps a little corner shelving tower?

flupcake Sun 18-Sep-16 11:44:49

Quebec - thanks for the article! That is exactly our dilemma!

Yes I think we will go to a large store like John Lewis and look at the sofas together.

Cex - I have tried to imagine how the corner sofa would work in the bay. I think to put the corner bit into the bay would look a bit odd? And otherwise the corner sofa will stick out into the room with a strange gap between the sofa and the window. (The bay window doesn't extend all the way to the corner of the room).

I have seen some curved sofas but that could look odd matched with a regular sofa!

NapQueen Sun 18-Sep-16 11:47:46

My aunt had a chocolate brown leather sofa and a sort of mushrooms coloured fabric sofa in a thick texture.

I think the key with mismatched fabric is to get the exact same shape and style sofas and let the only difference be the covering.

cexuwaleozbu Sun 18-Sep-16 19:31:29

I was imagining something like this (the green circle is a tall lamp or could be a plant or something depending on your decor). If the triangle cut off represents a huge amount of the available floorspace then it's a less good idea, but most houses I'm familiar with that have bay windows, it would only be less than half a square metre.

Don't know where the doors are obviously so might be the mirror image of this arrangement.

Just an idea of course. I won't be offended if you don't like it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now