painting a lampshade before upcycling?

(5 Posts)
LunaLoveg00d Sat 10-Sep-16 16:53:56

I have bought an ancient standard lamp on Gumtree for a tenner and have plans to upcycle it. My plan is to use my extensive stash of buttons to decorate the shade and paint the upright bit in a zingy shade - possibly orange or lime green.

The current shade is like the one in the picture, sort of a flock wallpaper effect. I don't want to have to go out and buy a new shade - sort of counteracts the point of upcycling and something new from something old. So I was wondering if I could perhaps paint the lampshade instead with some plain white/cream paint and then stick the buttons on?

Thelovecats Sat 17-Sep-16 06:06:20

You can use chalk paint to paint fabric, but the pattern may still show. What about just using the metal frame?

JT05 Sat 17-Sep-16 10:24:01

How about using the metal frame and stringing the buttons vertically on it. You could alternate the button strings with orange or lime green ribbon, or both.

LunaLoveg00d Sat 17-Sep-16 22:22:08

I ended up painting the upright bit and spraying the shade with gold paint - very please with the way it turned out.

LunaLoveg00d Sat 17-Sep-16 22:22:46

Keeping the buttons for another project, not decided what yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now