Gloss and artex everywhere 😞

(7 Posts)
ladybird69 Fri 09-Sep-16 00:29:06

Can I just paint over the hideous glossness that is my 1979 mock Georgian ? Awful stair rails rather than barristers. Or do I need to sand e everything?
What can I do about awful artex on ceilings?
And I've bought varies painted chest of drawers do I need to sand etc or can I just prime and paint on top? And change handles? Would it be cheaper and quicker to buy new doors? I'm liking oak doors to match oak furniture.
It needs lots of updating and conservatory and loft conversion would be nice. Keep doing the lottery eh.

ladybird69 Fri 09-Sep-16 00:29:49

Ideas running through my mind!!!

Rupster Fri 09-Sep-16 11:27:54

The artexed ceilings will need to be plastered over and then repainted with a "mist coat" of around 3 parts paint to 1 part water. Then it will need two normal coats.

sentia Fri 09-Sep-16 19:21:56

There are primers that do away with the need to sand. Our decorator swore by Dulux super grip. It has stuck to the melamine in our kitchen that he painted with it so it should handle gloss paint.

ladybird69 Sat 10-Sep-16 01:13:38

Oh great thanks for the replies. That's sounding really positive, I'd envisaged having to rip down ceilings and rip out stairs. grin

80sMum Sat 10-Sep-16 02:06:31

Yes, you need a good quality primer. I haven't tried the Dulux one but I am a big fan of Zinsser products, which you can get from any decorators' merchants.

Zinsser BIN is one of the oldest and best primers out there. It sticks to pretty much everything. It dries in 15 minutes and is recoatable after 30, so it's super quick.

Another good one is Zinsser Bullseye 123 Plus. It's water based, so very easy to use and dries in 30 minutes.

Or there is Zinsser Coverstain, which is solvent based, but very good value and recoatable in 2 hours.

Avoid painting over any dirty, greasy or sticky areas. Clean the painted surfaces first with sugar soap or something similar, then allow to dry before priming.

If you're in a hurry, methylated spirits is a good pre-painting cleaner (also works wonders on upvc window frames).

Artex ceilings are best over-tacked with plasterboard and then skimmed. But if you don't have a good ceiling height, then they can be plastered over directly.

Good luck! I'm sure it will look great when it's all done.

FenellaMaxwell Sat 10-Sep-16 02:59:38

Re painting furniture, it depends on the loom you want - chalk paint can be painted straight on, no need to treat the wood first, for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now