Can arm rest covers ever look good?

(18 Posts)
DipsyLaLa22 Mon 05-Sep-16 23:11:14

I sort of know the answer to this already, but wondering if anyone is an interior design genius.

So, today I went sofa shopping and found two fantastic ex display sofas at a bargain price so snapped them up and accidentally bought a sideboard and lush footstool too.

The only problem is that the sofas are an oatmeal type colour, and I have a few very sticky, messy small children. Not ideal. The cushions can be unzipped and dry cleaned, but I know the armrests are going to get filthy, is there anything I can do? Is there such a thing as a cool armrest cover? Or any other ideas? Thanks.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Mon 05-Sep-16 23:19:23

I don't think there is a cool armrest cover. I can see two options, find your inner grandma and go full on kitsch armrest in chintz or crochet, or perhaps a lovely throw over the sofa when the children are up.

FenellaMaxwell Mon 05-Sep-16 23:20:35

Nope. Sorry!

DipsyLaLa22 Mon 05-Sep-16 23:33:19

Thought not. Thanks anyway.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 05-Sep-16 23:34:35

I was thinking the same thing

Dunhelm mill sell them but I don't think they will look great (wish they did)

Rockchick1984 Mon 05-Sep-16 23:38:11

Spray them with this to protect them?

KarmaNoMore Mon 05-Sep-16 23:40:10

I have a folded blanket/throw always hanging over the armrest. At the beginning it was just to have something warm at hand in case it got cold while watching TV, but the little blanket is now providing a wonderful service keeping the armrest clean, as my new dog use the armrest as a perch when looking out the window.

Worth a try, I think.

I got some very cheap soft blankets from IKEA they are about £3, so they are washed and binned without regrets once they become anit manky.

Ninasimoneinthemorning Mon 05-Sep-16 23:44:50

No ! I've just seen on my friends news feed on facebook she has lace arm covers. She is in her early 30s shock

DipsyLaLa22 Mon 05-Sep-16 23:45:13

Thanks Rock & Karma.

Not sure why scotch-guard didn't occur to me? Does it really work?

New ikea just opened close by - will have a look, thanks

DipsyLaLa22 Mon 05-Sep-16 23:47:58

Nina I suspect that your friend and I are on the cutting edge of some kind of armrest cover revival.

wowfudge Tue 06-Sep-16 11:20:43

We have a sofa with armrest covers in the same fabric as the sofa. It was made to measure though. Is it an option to order covers?

PrimalLass Tue 06-Sep-16 11:45:39

I would definitely go for cheap fleece blankets. They look nice and can be lobbed in the wash, used to clean up a spill in an emergency etc.

TollgateDebs Wed 07-Sep-16 10:20:47

I bought two ex-display sofas and I asked the company if they could make me up arm covers in the same fabric to match - they did! Might be worth contacting the company that supplied the sofas, as they might do as Multiyork did, or have access to fabric so you can then get them made.

dontcrynow Wed 07-Sep-16 10:24:28

I have arm covers in the same frabric and colour as the sofas.

Sallycinnamum Wed 07-Sep-16 10:26:55

I bought some from Sofasofa. They have a sofa roughly the same size as mine and only cost £10.

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:27:09

I've been wondering this, as the arms of my pale sofas are bearing the brunt of 3 children's mess. Might see if I can make some as it's a plain coloured sofa, but it's Ikea so they don't make arm covers in matching colours that I know of!

dontcrynow Wed 07-Sep-16 10:47:04

sugarmice Ikea sell fabric so maybe yo will find some that matches their fabric furniture

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 07-Sep-16 14:53:57

Good thinking dontcrynow I will look next time I'm there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now