Anyone used Designers Guild material to make curtains/blinds?

(9 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Fri 02-Sep-16 07:33:16

I have seen a beautiful fabric on Designers Guild website that I would like to use to make a Roman blind. I father they just sell fabric and you have to get it made yourself? Has anyone does this? Is it very expensive overall?

BigGreenOlives Fri 02-Sep-16 07:40:48

Their fabrics used to be very good quality, I haven't bought any recently but I have curtains & Roman blinds which are 15 years old and still look good. I also have curtains which are from 1996 which are still going strong. Their bed linen lasts well too.

Craftycakey15 Fri 02-Sep-16 09:30:15

Did they make them for you?

BigGreenOlives Fri 02-Sep-16 11:11:26

No I used an independent curtain maker. They might make them up for you or John Lewis have people who make them up, I think they sell Designers Guild fabrics in their stores with larger fabric departments. Where do you live? (Roughly)

Craftycakey15 Fri 02-Sep-16 11:25:32

I live in Hertfordshire but can get to London stores easily. I didn't know John Lewis could help. I bet a blind will be so expensive though. The prints are beautiful!

BigGreenOlives Fri 02-Sep-16 11:59:01

That's where an independent can be a help, but if it isn't right you have less recourse. My windows are very long, but I had a blind made up by someone in 2007 for one of my children's bedrooms - make up & fit 1 lined & interlined & blackout Roman blind on baton with clear and weight and hang & dress blind was £429 for the work, plus 5m cream lining, 4 m bump (wadding stuff to make thicker), 4m blackout. Blind needed 4m of 137cm wide fabric to give you some idea but still looks good & hasnt needed to be restrung, despite being south facing.

BigGreenOlives Fri 02-Sep-16 12:00:16

Fabric was only £91!

Craftycakey15 Fri 02-Sep-16 12:45:28

Thanks for all the info. It's going to be a lot for one blind!

BigGreenOlives Fri 02-Sep-16 14:45:24

I work on the basis that the blinds/curtains are the most expensive part of the room & that we'll keep them a long time. The hourly rate is lower than that for a joiner etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now