Bay window treatment? Photo included.

(21 Posts)
PinkCloudDweller Wed 24-Aug-16 13:52:46

Hi, I'd like to get rid of my curtains as I think my bay window looks better without. What treatment would you use instead? The lounge is south-facing, so I need something to tame the fierceness of the sun. I also want to block slightly the view from the street. The effect I have in my mind is something similar to frosted glass (something very unobtrusive) but obviously not that. I don't want to go for shutters either. Any suggestions?

GeneralBobbit Wed 24-Aug-16 13:57:26

You don't want to add something that looks like frosting to the glass?

You can get patterned window film that does that?

You can get cafe shutters that goes up half the window, maybe that's an alternative to full shutters?

Or cafe rods with light voiles on it?

GeneralBobbit Wed 24-Aug-16 13:58:02

Like this

GeneralBobbit Wed 24-Aug-16 13:58:54

Cafe curtains

GeneralBobbit Wed 24-Aug-16 13:59:53

Frosted window film

GeneralBobbit Wed 24-Aug-16 14:00:38

UV film or blackout fabric for the cafe curtains?

JennyBunn Wed 24-Aug-16 14:00:39

Sorry I can't link as on my phone, but I'm considering 'magic screen blinds' for my bay window.

It's a large bay window that I have and currently have white wooden Venetian blinds on them. They take forever to clean though and I hate them.

SweetPeaPods Wed 24-Aug-16 14:02:33

Sorry nothing useful to add but I love your front room

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 24-Aug-16 14:36:44

I have dark wood venetian blinds on my bay, five separate blinds, great for when the sun is moving round, you can open individual blinds so you aren't blinded by the sun. Our living room would be uncomfortable especially in the Summer if I couldn't shut the light out.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 24-Aug-16 14:39:13

Would be a shame to cover up your lovely stained glass.

Hadron21 Wed 24-Aug-16 14:45:16

I have the same issue and keep thinking I've overlooked an obvious solution. I don't want film on the windows as I like the view but want to screen out the sun as it sets in the evening as it makes the room uncomfortable. My kids sit in the dark, curtains closed to watch tv!
I looked at individual blinds for each window column but it was v expensive.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 24-Aug-16 15:04:32

I paid about £25 for each blind, from Ebay, 3 of the cords broke, I think, due to my son violently opening and closing them, they seem fine now after I got them fixed and he now doesn't do it!

PinkCloudDweller Wed 24-Aug-16 22:39:44

Thanks for your replies! I think cafe curtains might work, although I was looking for something sleeker. I'm not familiar with magic screen blinds, I'm off to google it!

PinkCloudDweller Wed 24-Aug-16 22:46:28

I've just Googled magic screen blinds and it's just the kind of thing I wanted!! Very plain and unobtrusive, perfect! It does sound like a rather expensive option though. Has anybody got them at home?

PinkCloudDweller Wed 24-Aug-16 23:13:38

Dunellm do a much cheaper version that has good reviews, what do you think? www.dunelm.com/product/sheer-roller-blind-1000051289

Agsy Thu 25-Aug-16 00:03:50

Beautiful bay! i wouldn't want to hide it or block the light either. Sheer blinds from you link look great, might be too little though to tame the light. If you like them you might like Day&Night blinds: they are sheer but with one pull on the cord they change into blackouts, just in case you need them to ☺; might be worth it to google them.

Agsy Thu 25-Aug-16 00:10:24

This is how it works: youtu.be/-GCmg43Uvkk

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Thu 25-Aug-16 05:49:54

The Dunelm ( a quarter of the price of the Magic) and Day and Night look great.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Thu 25-Aug-16 05:52:56

Will you keep the pelmet up.
Also will you be hanging the blinds from under the stain glass windows.

PinkCloudDweller Thu 25-Aug-16 10:52:55

Actually, I've changed my mind on this. Roller blinds wouldn't look right because the roller bit would stand proud of the window frames- the bit of wood separating the top and bottom panels is too shallow. Hm. What a shame.

I think the only option is to use very thin rods and cafe curtains, realistically. A shame, as I think sheer blinds would be perfect.

JennyBunn Thu 25-Aug-16 11:17:51

Would 'Perfect Fit' blinds be an option? I only found out about them yesterday when searching for the magic screen blinds.
Thanks for the Dunelm link!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now