Creating a small study space

(11 Posts)
Monroe Sat 20-Aug-16 16:39:21

I'm starting uni in September and want to create a study area just for me. The problem is we have no spare space and the only area i could really use is in the corner of our bedroom where my bedside table currently sits.

Any tips or ideas for making an area i can stidy comfotably in? Unfortunately I will also be doing it on a budget but I'd like to create a small separate space if possible

wobblywonderwoman Sat 20-Aug-16 18:21:03

Have you anywhere on the landing you could put a small table.

If not. I would try and make the area as comfy as possible.

IKEA have nice raskog trolleys and if you had one beside your desk it could store hole puncher etc.

Habitat at Argos have a beautiful sage coloured small desk.

Nice noticeboard. Lots of shelving for your books or an Ottoman (Argos)

Monroe Sat 20-Aug-16 18:28:11

Landing no good unfortunately

I'm thinking of heading to ikea tomorrow so will look out for that

Off to look on Argos website thank you

wobblywonderwoman Sat 20-Aug-16 18:30:32

What about some sort of screen or divider to close it off - would space or budget allow?

cexuwaleozbu Sat 20-Aug-16 18:30:37

I would replace your bedside table with a tiny knee-high one, and then install a fold-down desk like this and keep a folding chair beside it. You need to be able to convert the space back into a "bedroom" area when you aren't working.

Sofabitch Sat 20-Aug-16 18:32:33

I bought an old writting beaureu and put a book case on top. It just fits next to my bed. I did have a fold up chair but decided comfort was worth space sacrifice. Its perfect because I can fold it up when I'm done.

Sofabitch Sat 20-Aug-16 18:35:17

Here is mine. I put a shelf for a bedside table

Sofabitch Sat 20-Aug-16 18:37:52

This is the ikea version m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/30245713/

They do a book shelf to sit on top.

A flip down desk is a good idea. But you will need somewhere to store ppaers/books/lecture notes/etc so do consider a bookcase.

Sofabitch Sat 20-Aug-16 18:40:46

I was going to sand and paint the beaureu to match the rest of the furniture... but I have never found the time. I picked it up in a second hand furniture shop for around £15

Monroe Sat 20-Aug-16 19:15:17

Oh i like the ikea one, always wanted one like that and our bedroom furniture is white so it would go nicely

I could look at a small bookcase to go above it

Never thought of a screen, i really like tge idea but the desk will be right next to my bed so it may just get more in tge way tgan anything

Thanks for all the ideas

Sofabitch Sat 20-Aug-16 19:24:54

m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/spr/39932835/... i so want this! But my student budget just wouldn't allow :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now