Are carpet samples a thing?

(13 Posts)
Kaisha02 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:43:31

Can you buy carpet samples to take home and try in the space and test the different shades of colour available in the limited hallway light etc?

My husband seems to think you can't get them, but if you can with tiles why not with carpet?

I'm currently painting the hall and am deciding between two shades for the bottom half of the wall, and suddenly thought the one we like most may like a bit wishy washy depending on the carpet.

We know the carpet we want, it just always looks so different in a showroom.

DereksGotATail Fri 05-Aug-16 20:47:07

The carpet shop let us take the carpet samples home to test. They took our name and address and asked us to bring them back the next day. We also borrowed them for a couple of hours the next week to take suite shopping.

Madbengalmum Fri 05-Aug-16 20:49:44

I know if you are looking at any Brintons carpet they will happily send you generous samples through the post. Order from their website.

Cel982 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:51:05

Yeah, of course there are. They often come in a book - Google Image it for your numpty husband.

magicstar1 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:52:14

Yes, we got some and they looked completely different at home. Had to pay a refundable deposit on them, which we got back and then bought the carpet elsewhere for half the price wink

Gluetap Fri 05-Aug-16 20:54:41

You can order free samples from the John Lewis website.

PurpleCrazyHorse Fri 05-Aug-16 20:55:08

Our local carpet shop gave us little 4" square samples to keep. Really useful for matching to other furnishings.

Sleeperandthespindle Fri 05-Aug-16 20:56:41

Our John Lewis has drawers full of them. I get them for school projects sometimes!

Kaisha02 Fri 05-Aug-16 21:13:18

Thanks, I've just seen I can order up to 4 free samples with carpetright. Now to wait a week until they arrive before I paint the hall, just in case!

carpetmanOX10 Sun 07-Aug-16 13:34:27

You can always order them direct from manufacturers website. It's usually quicker in my experience and you get current colour batches not something that's been sat on the shelf fading, although Carpetright tend to re-brand their products, so sometimes it is difficult to know what to order.

Bambooshoots14 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:01:03

I never knew this! Just ordered some from John Lewis thank you

JessieMcJessie Mon 15-Aug-16 19:22:02

My local independent carpet shop happily have me the full book of samples of the type of carpet I liked, they trusted me to bring it back a couple of days later.

Spottyladybird Mon 15-Aug-16 19:25:12

Our local John Lewis has ones you can take in drawers under the carpet wheels.

We've borrowed samples from other carpet shops too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now