Which white for ceiling and coving?

(8 Posts)
mummysmellsofsick Sun 31-Jul-16 10:58:50

Now I've found this board I will be asking questions daily smile

I need a white for ceilings and woodwork throughout the house. Preferably dulux. I'm going to use f&b or little Greene or Edward Bulmer for colours but would like something a bit cheaper for the white areas.

Edwardian house.

Is dulux trade white supermatt (for ceilings etc) ok? Will I wish I got expensive paint?

MrsWooster Sun 31-Jul-16 11:09:16

You are overthinking this. White trade paint.

mummysmellsofsick Sun 31-Jul-16 11:15:20

Great! I am now overthinking the undercoat. What water based undercoat is good?

fluorine19 Sun 31-Jul-16 11:56:56

Deluxe Supermatt emulsion is very good for ceilings and walls, but if you're applying by roller it's best to dilute it about 10% to get a smooth finish; diluting it doesn't appear to affect the covering power.

In my experience, almost any brand water-based undercoat will be OK e.g Dulux or Johnstones. The essential step is ensuring the surface is degreased (sugar soap is good for this) and lightly sanded.

If you're looking for a water-based satin finish top coat, I've found that Sikkens Satura BL is vastly superior to Crown or Dulux, as it's slower drying and so brush marks flatten out better. (This property makes painting panelled doors easier.) However, because it's slower drying, you do need to watch out for runs...

fluorine19 Sun 31-Jul-16 11:57:41

**Dulux not Deluxe!

mummysmellsofsick Sun 31-Jul-16 14:47:20

OK great thanks!

wowfudge Sun 31-Jul-16 14:55:54

We're currently using Leyland trade matt pure brilliant white to paint a ceiling, coving and frieze. Good coverage and was cheap for 10L from a trade place.

mummysmellsofsick Sun 31-Jul-16 21:06:25

DH got dulux trade white super matt thanks all 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now