Seeking small space decorating idea: I'm I wrong in thinking houzz's idea of small not really small?

(11 Posts)
FoxesOnSocks Sat 30-Jul-16 10:38:36

We had building work done to make the two rooms down stairs more equal (gallery kitchen wall pushed into the living room)

I've decorated the (now) nice square sized kitchen and was look at idea for a small sitting room (it's rectangular now) so I looked up decorating a small narrow living room

The stuff houzz showed would not in my book be narrow, or even small!! have they just got a different idea of small space living?!??

unweavedrainbow Sat 30-Jul-16 10:50:11

Houzz is largely American. Americans have huge houses-except in big cities. Have a look at apartment therapy It concentrates on really small city apartments so you should get some ideas.

SwedishEdith Sat 30-Jul-16 10:58:06

Oh, no, another site to get lost in.

LikeTheShoes Sat 30-Jul-16 11:02:12

Agreed, we were looking for ideas for our small and oddly shaped bathroom, the smallest ones on houzz were at least double the size of ours!

FoxesOnSocks Sat 30-Jul-16 12:33:15

Ooh another site to browse!!

I wasn't sure if houses in the USA were just big on tv and films. Some of those apartments are small!!

Thelovecats Sat 30-Jul-16 22:20:06

I had the same problem looking for box bedroom ideas grin I think on houzz the 6 X 8 room I needed inspiration for would be termed a 'closet'

ImBrian Sun 31-Jul-16 09:02:38

This happens when I look at narrow hallways, most seem as wide as my kitchen!

ChishandFips33 Wed 03-Aug-16 00:30:30

No I agree OP and it often gets mentioned in the comments section. I follow Houzz.uk and a recent article followed a small kitchen - it was 6.6x3m with a utility of 3.5x1.8m!!! The strap line on the email was 'teeny yet stylish kitchen'

I think you can filter sizes to a degree

Silvie11 Thu 04-Aug-16 00:19:35

Hi.
Look at Pinterest. You can find a lot of ideas.

FoxesOnSocks Thu 04-Aug-16 08:49:57

Pinterest is great - glad it's not just me thinking that about Houzz!!

I'm trying to work out how big my kitchen was before we did the work - pretty sure it was small than the kitchen ChishandFips33 mention (and I've no utility do that all in the kitchen too). It was small but I'm sure there are teenier!!

MachiKoro Thu 04-Aug-16 10:50:55

Apartment therapy is great- loads of small places on there, usally in big cities, but they have lots about the 'Tiny House' movement, and often feature Tiny Homes, trailers/caravans etc. The nice thing is that they 'celebrate' individualism, and you can find decor on there to suit all tastes (and budgets). There are lots of good ideas for storage, etc, as obviously space is at a premium in appartments (yet they all seem to have fantastic closets?? So unfair we don't have those in Britain)
I love looking at it (I got into it, as they used to have the children's bit as a separate mini-site, named OhDeeDoh, but it's been subsumed into AT, probably because no-one could spell the URL correctly!)
I often see things on pinterest pinned from AT, tbh.

If you have any links for square kitchens, I'd be interested, as I'm finding it v difficult to re-design mine at present! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now