High Bed for tween with integrated wardrobe and desk

(22 Posts)
eightytwenty Mon 25-Jul-16 22:49:10

Ds has quite a small room with a double bed, a Victorian desk and two chests of drawers but he really needs a wardrobe. Due to the layout of the room there isn't anywhere a wardrobe could go (it would be blocking either the window or a fireplace). So I've been thinking a high sleeper with an interested wardrobe might be the best way forward. Only concerns are a) will climbing up into a high bed be as appealing at 14/15 as it is as 11, and b) do you have any recommendations for one with a decent size wardrobe. Interested in recommendations as well as feedback for these types of beds in general.

JT05 Tue 26-Jul-16 07:52:37

How about replacing one of the chest of drawers with a wardrobe that has integrated drawers?

eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 08:41:15

Problem is that the drawers don't obscure the window where a wardrobe would.

eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 08:41:26

But thanks.

Jenijena Tue 26-Jul-16 08:43:19

When you get to a certain height, sitting up in a high bed means you bang your head on the ceiling...

junebirthdaygirl Tue 26-Jul-16 08:48:39

Those high beds are a nuisance. At 11 they still like you to sit and chat at night and good luck with that swinging up there. Also it doesn't lend itself to lounging on the bed as a teenager listening to music. We got rid of one when ds was about 12. I might be dreaming but isn't there half height wardrobes with shelving down one half and then a hanging section or could you get something made.

Belle0906 Tue 26-Jul-16 09:49:30

Would an open hanging rack be an option?

I bought my daughter this (odd shaped small room with sloping ceiling) www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10219135/

It's only a metre high so would possibly go under the window? Obviously not great for hanging long things but I manage with my daughter.

Pantsalive Tue 26-Jul-16 09:58:01

We're just about to swap DS's high sleeper for a normal height bed. He's 12 and I had a conversation with someone the other day where we discovered that this seems to be the time when the novelty wears off.

Rather than get a high sleeper, have you thought of getting rid of some of his clothes? Two chests of drawers and a wardrobe seems like a lot. Have you read the Marie Kondo threads?

(Of course, he may store stuff other than clothes in his drawers but even if you start folding his stuff the way she suggests they'll take up a lot less room).

eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 11:05:21

Thanks everyone. I'm torn cause he is desperate to have a high up bed even though he will be 12 in a few months. I was also concerned that there would be a limited life span.

I really out to read the Kondo book! Suspect his drawers are only half the problem!

The other thought we had was to build a mezzanine level with some box type stairs so it became a split level room. Seen some amazing examples on Pinterest. But no idea about cost as yet. We have high ceilings so think that wouldn't cause a sitting up problem but will check.

MachiKoro Tue 26-Jul-16 11:10:01

Maybe get a less expensive one- Ikea stuva rather than GLTC, aspace, or stompa? That way you won't feel too guilty if he wants to change it in a few years time?
That said, I love high beds, and had one as an adult, in a teeny studio Appartment. Had my sofa, dining table underneath.

Jenijena Tue 26-Jul-16 11:29:50

If you had a cabin bed and drawers underneath it would you have space for a wardrobe elsewhere in the room?

eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 11:49:07

Sadly not. The only wall where a wardrobe would fit is the wall with the bed. Unless there are any super skinny wardrobes where the clothes hang facing you rather than sideways. Though even with that not sure there would be space fo a desk.

bigTillyMint Tue 26-Jul-16 12:00:04

I agree that the novelty of a high-sleeper will wear off PDQ. And if he grows fast, it will be too small and uncomfortable (we had all this with DS who hit puberty as he turned 12!)

Not sure what the answer is, but I think a high-sleeper could well be a waste of money!

eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 12:05:16

Thanks. Grateful for the advice.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 26-Jul-16 12:12:49

I would advise against a high sleeper, Eve had a couple and both have been ditched sooner than planned.

The ikea one, the metal one is very high and squeaks terribly, so every time a child moves it makes a noise. That had to go.

Ds1 (13) had a stompa high sleeper in his box room, he rarely used the Desk or seating underneath because it was dark and the space was restricted, it made the room feel dark and even smaller and the headroom wasn't great as he was getting taller. We swapped for a low bed and he has a narrow desk opposite. His bedroom is much lighter and feels so much more pleasant. Hey is much happier now although he was very keen on the high sleeper initially.

eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 12:17:24

Will share these comments with Ds.

ssd Tue 26-Jul-16 12:32:56

ikea kids range might suit op, skinny wardrobes there

ssd Tue 26-Jul-16 12:33:58

got rid of mid sleeper at 13 here, wasnt cool anymore grin

eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 13:03:20

Skinny wardrobes in kids range? Will check online. Going to Ikea is always so painful :-)

ssd Tue 26-Jul-16 13:08:48

IIRC they are 60 wide, or 40...not wide at all, we got it in black and white more suitable for a teen

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S99006611/

ssd Tue 26-Jul-16 13:10:15

we did it as a double rail wardrobe without the drawers but with 2 rails inside one below one above, depending on the length of his clothes

eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 13:19:44

Thanks for the link SSD. Will measure space tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now