Help!! I've ruined my wool sofa. ....

(9 Posts)
Aknowingsmile Sat 23-Jul-16 20:38:07

I have a huge dark grey modular sofa covered in grey woolly fabric (80% wool 20% nylon to be exact). It wasn't smelling very fresh lately so foolishly I covered it with some white carpet refresher powdery stuff (the type you vacuum afterwards) and now after removing the powder there's stains/watermarks showing everywhere that weren't even there before to start with, or weren't apparent. We don't eat in the sofa so pretty sure they're watermarks but they look really horrible, and I'm not sure how to get rid of them...sad... any suggestions please? They're obviously not removable covers but the fabric is stapled to the frame. I found an upholstery stain remover from Tableau but it's quite a small pot and it needs soaking with water afterwards to rinse it; I'm afraid it will make it worse. ....

Thank you in advance

DixieNormas Sat 23-Jul-16 20:40:43

Is it insured?

pictish Sat 23-Jul-16 20:44:09

The powder has clung old spillages and shown them up I think. A bit like those red tablets that highlight plaque on your teeth.
Bummer - don't know what to advise other than a professional clean.

Aknowingsmile Sat 23-Jul-16 21:08:03

I don't know. .. would something like this be covered under House Contents insurance? The sofa is about five/six years old and I don't think I have the receipt any longer. ...

I'm really trying to avoid a professional clean. .. it's a 4 metre long sofa, it would cost me an absolute fortuneconfused

AuditAngel Sat 23-Jul-16 21:13:58

I can't see the nature of the fabric, but could you brush it? If you could, using a soft scrubbing brush or a soft bristle hairbrush might work

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 23-Jul-16 21:16:05

Could you dream clean it? Hire a cleaner if you don't have suitable kit.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 23-Jul-16 21:16:32

Steam not dream.

FFS!!!!

Aknowingsmile Sat 23-Jul-16 21:26:20

Dream clean itgrin. It might be a solution, but the cleaning solution the machines use might be not suitable for wool. .. I remember hiring one last year and couldn't use it on a wool Moroccan rug that I have. I'll have a look in Google, thank you.

Sadly I've tried to brush them off but they seem to be embedded in the fabricsad

wowfudge Sun 24-Jul-16 09:18:58

The cost if professional cleaning is likely to be a lot less than a new sofa so I'd just bite the bullet and get some quotes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now