Fabric width

(7 Posts)
maisiejones Sun 17-Jul-16 16:49:49

Sorry, really dense question from a complete amateur. 😳 I want to reupholster a headboard and have chosen a fabric after getting some swatches from Next online. I'm now ready to order and know the number of metres I need to order but nowhere on the website can I see anything that tells me the width of the roll. Do I assume it's a metre wide?

Waltons Sun 17-Jul-16 17:06:41

It will be 140cm wide. The back of the swatch will probably have a label stating that, and also giving you the pattern repeat, which you have to allow for unless it's plain fabric or a vertical stripe.

A double/king/superking headboard will need two widths of fabric.

maisiejones Sun 17-Jul-16 18:20:05

Thank you Waltons. It's king size so two widths then and no, no pattern. I don't want to confuse myself on my first attempt! 😀

Waltons Sun 17-Jul-16 18:41:56

I just looked at the Next website and there are a very few fabrics that are silly sizes - 129cm, 148cm.

Standard width is 140cm though. Just check before you order!

Two widths of any of them will do a king-size comfortably though. One seam down the middle, staple gun behind the headboard, done!

poochiepants Sun 17-Jul-16 23:03:46

Usually you would run the fabric across the headboard rather than top to bottom, but it does depend on what you've chosen. If it's a plain, check that the weave looks OK when you rotate it 90 degrees. As a headboard isn't actually very high, the 140cm width should be ok as the 2 selvedges will be running along the top and along the bottom. Post a pic of the fabric, or say what it is, and I can see better what to do. There should never be a visible seam down the centre, if there needs to be one that sort of thing is usually 'lost' in a panelled design or something similar.

Does this make sense??

maisiejones Sun 17-Jul-16 23:53:56

Thank you all. I've chosen Sumptuous Velour Dark Natural. It's plain and the weave looks fine when rotated. I was planning to attach it horizontally so one piece with no seam. The only problem I now have is that they seem to sell their upholstery fabrics in a minimum of 5m when I want only 2m, at least on the website. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can order 2m. Otherwise I'll just have to go mad with my dining chairs too. 😀

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Sun 17-Jul-16 23:58:04

Poochie - that doesn't work for dralon type fabrics with an obvious nap.

I would have hoped that the Next website would provide a guide, since it's their fabrics, mind. Pretty poor if they don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now