is it posible to paint/refurb/cover cheap-ass chipboard furniture?

(7 Posts)
JimmyGreavesMoustache Sat 16-Jul-16 13:06:33

I've got a little chipboard cupboard thing in the bathroom. It was about 25 quid from Argos or Sainsbury's or somewhere, but the reason I chose it was because it fits the space just perfectly - all the decent ones came over the height of the long, low window.

Inevitably the top surface has a few chips and cracks where you can see through the white to the chipboard underneath. If it was wood, a quick sand and repaint would sort it, but I don't think I can do this with chipboard. Any ideas on how to rescue it. Obviously at 25 quid it's no biggie to get another one, but I'd rather not add to landfill if I can avoid it.

FauxFox Sat 16-Jul-16 13:12:00

You can get special primer for the plasticy surface ask in B&Q - sand it, prime it, paint it - done grin

FauxFox Sat 16-Jul-16 13:12:58

Or cover it in wrapping paper and varnish it - that's what i'm going to do to DDs chest of drawers when I can be arsed...grin

Deux Sat 16-Jul-16 13:17:09

Fill the cracks with a filler then paint with chalk paint. Apply polyurethane top coat or wax.

Mind you if you have to buy all that stuff and it's only for that one job, you might be just as well buying a new cabinet.

I painted a brown IKEA Billy bookcase with white chalk paint.

spottymoo Sat 16-Jul-16 13:18:53

I put Annie Sloan on ours no need to primer or sand just paint then wax completely transformed it

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sat 16-Jul-16 13:23:47

excellent, cheers all
I don't mind spending a few quid to get it sorted. I'd feel bad chucking a perfectly functional piece of furniture just because it looks scruffy. I'll probably give painting it a crack, and then go for wrapping paper + varnish if I make a pig's ear of the painting.

Deux Sat 16-Jul-16 18:28:11

If it's a small cabinet then you may only need a sample size pot of chalk paint. You can get Rustoleum chalk paint in the DIY sheds.

I always water down my first coat a little bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now