feedback in colour your own mural

(10 Posts)
gillhazlegreaves14 Sat 09-Jul-16 07:20:17

Hi all,

I am a professional artist looking for some feedback on a new product I would like to launch.
Regularly I paint murals for children's rooms/play areas. As a way of getting children involved in creative processes I am looking to launch 'colour your own mural', where I would paint a themed outline and this then give kids an opportunity to colour it in and express themselves.
Can I please have some feedback on this, both positive and negative welcome

SimplyNigella Sat 09-Jul-16 07:49:22

It's a lovely idea but in practise I'm not sure I would want my child's artwork so permanently on the walls. He would find it great fun and be very enthusiastic, but after a few months if it being on the wall the novelty would wear off for all of us. I would rather have a professional mural done entirely by you.

Scootergrrrl Sat 09-Jul-16 07:57:43

I agree with Nigella. Plus I'd be hovering the whole time getting them to colour properly in the lines if I knew it'd be on the wall for ever! How about asking the child to draw a character or something on paper and incorporating that into the mural in order to get them involved?

ThatAnneGirl Sat 09-Jul-16 08:04:37

I think it could work in a communal setting. Like in a nursery or community centre but I wouldn't want it in my home. It would look a right old mess.

buffalogrumble Sat 09-Jul-16 08:06:18

I already have my children's artwork permanently on the walls. It's not a good look. I've hidden the sharpie markers now, and will be reprinting in stages over the summer

RadicalPessimist Sat 09-Jul-16 08:13:59

If I was going to pay a professional to draw an outline, I think I'd rather pay more and get her to fill it in! My children would be quite enthusiastic initially but I honestly think they'd get bored before completing a whole wall. And I'd be twitchy about them doing it 'right' I'm normally happy for them to express themselves however they want but if I've paid for permanent artwork on my wall I wouldn't want a black moon, green rabbits or a brown pond. Not to mention making sure they were within the lines. It might work in a school or nursery though.

gillhazlegreaves14 Sat 09-Jul-16 08:33:35

Thank you so much everyone! The idea of a character that has been designed by the child is lovely. The feedback is incredibly helpful

LifeIsGoodish Sat 09-Jul-16 09:13:11

When I was a child I knew someone who had a playroom with one wall papered with a paper designed to be coloured in. It was covered with black line drawings and felt like smooth, good quality drawing paper. It was awesome! We would colour it in with felt-tips. I looked for similar for my own dc, but never found anything suitable.

gillhazlegreaves14 Sat 09-Jul-16 13:17:19

Brilliant feedback. Might be something to look to expand into

SimplyNigella Sat 09-Jul-16 13:34:57

Oh yes, I love the idea of the child helping to create a character- or maybe asking them to pain a self portrait that you replicate somewhere on the mural?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now