Any interior designers to answer a question for me please?

(12 Posts)
MrBoot Wed 06-Jul-16 22:44:09

I am in a dither.

I have two lights in my downstairs hall - one near the front door and the other halfway back. Upstairs there are another two lights -one on the landing and another over part of the stairway.

At the moment, I don't have any shades but I have finally spotted some pendants that I like. The first is a plain white and oak pendant (very minimilistic). The second is very colourful (handpainted glass in bright colours). The floor covering will be wood.

Do I need to keep all four fittings the same as it is essentially the same 'space'. I could do this if I went with the plain white and oak pendants. I can't really do this with the coloured glass ones as I think their impact will be reduced by having four of them.

Does anyone know what looks better?

BicycleMadeForTwo Wed 06-Jul-16 22:47:24

Personally I would have the white and oak pendants for all four light fittings. I think it makes the hall space, both upstairs and downstairs, more unified.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 06-Jul-16 23:01:34

I agree - add colourful lights in places you actually spend time in to enjoy them - in a hall and landing four simple white and oak shades sound classy !

MrBoot Wed 06-Jul-16 23:07:06

I'm not sure that our rooms (other than the hall which is stupidly big in proportion to the rest of the house) can take a coloured light.........

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 07-Jul-16 06:42:30

Ah - well that's your answer then !

MrBoot Thu 07-Jul-16 10:28:12

What is my answer though?

user1467695419 Fri 08-Jul-16 12:31:42

I have new floor colorful lights in my bedroom. It's a big attraction of my bedroom and I really enjoyed seeing.

Thelovecats Fri 08-Jul-16 14:48:22

Fancy sharing your links? They sound lovely!

toots111 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:06:22

Do you ever see the two lights at the same time? If not then dies it matter if they are different, go for what you like!

MrBoot Sat 09-Jul-16 22:52:37

Yes the four lights would all be on at the same time, the downstairs two would be turned off when we go to bed, the upstairs two left on for the night to accommodate my daughter's fear of the dark her own lamp not being enough

toots111 Sat 09-Jul-16 23:35:18

I think you could gave downstairs one type and upstairs another. Or the one over the stairwell make a statement if it it's the coloured ones and then something really plain on the others.

MrBoot Sat 09-Jul-16 23:43:54

Thank you for replying. I don't think I can mix them, that is my problem really. The colourful ones are fun and quirky and an altogether different style to the plain metal mixed with oak. The materials are different, the styles are different. I was thinking though of buying just one colourful one and maybe putting it in the dining/playroom. The problem with that is the sitting room and dining/playroom open into each other so again the lighting would look better if consistent.

I am finding it such a headache, currently there are bare bulbs there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now