John Lewis carpets & fitting

(10 Posts)
Saurus72 Fri 10-Jun-16 19:59:24

We have bought a new house and need to get the whole place re-carpeted. My instinct is to go to John Lewis based on good service I've had from them in general, but I wondered if anyone has any experience of their carpets and carpet fitting service? Is it good? How have they responded to any issues that have arisen? TIA.

I've had carpet fitting from JL twice. First was good. Second time the guys did a good job but they mucked us around with appointments and times and things. They did give us a small discount for the wasted day waiting in though. Personally next time I'd probably go to an independent carpet place, since that's who JL outsource their fitting to anyway.

bookishandblondish Fri 10-Jun-16 22:02:57

My quote was exhortionate and really poor. It was two rooms & staircase - didn't consider any options to make it cheaper and the quote was an overall quote - no breakdown. I went somewhere else, got a better carpet & underlay and £600 cheaper. Really wasn't impressed.

Saurus72 Fri 10-Jun-16 22:16:34

Hmm, interesting thanks. We're going to get quotes from John Lewis and an independent tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what the experience is like.

JackandDiane Fri 10-Jun-16 22:18:19

god no
just go to a local shop

sunnydayinmay Fri 10-Jun-16 22:23:41

We nearly did, but were randomly given a recommended for a local firm who really knew their stuff, and were cheaper, but also far far more knowledgeable.

If you're in Herts, I'll pass on the details.

Ntinyn Sat 11-Jun-16 09:03:24

We almost used them for two bedrooms when we moved to new area. They were really helpful in the shop and gave us what I thought was a fair estimate. Then popped into local carpet shop on the off chance. I had three JL samples in my bag and he explained that all JL branded carpets made by another supplier and re branded and colours renamed sometimes. He sold exactly the same carpets we wanted, made by Cormer.

I got quotes from both places for the same carpet... JL was cheaper for the actual carpet but charged £10/m for underlay whereas local guy was £6/m (v similar products) and JL quoted for some kind of weird 'access' charge on top.

In terms of fitting, we wanted them done on separate days due to logistics of emptying rooms, JL charged a minimum fitting fee per day of £90 whereas local guy was £60 per room no matter on timing of job.

I think the disposal fees were £20 for local guys and more for JL.

Also local guy didn't bat eyelid at furniture being in the room / helping us move it whereas JL charge for that.

So overall the local firm was cheaper and just more accommodating. You could call and speak to him anytime but you could only leave a message for JL fitters with questions and they get back to you.

We went with local guy and were thrilled!

Allalonenow Sat 11-Jun-16 09:24:45

JL gave an estimate for hall, landing and stairs carpet. When the job was completed I was surprised at how the carpet had been joined, but overall thought that the work was OK.
When the final bill arrived it was for considerably more than the estimate, and when queried their first reply was that it was only an estimate, not an actual price.
I felt that any company could give a low estimate just to get the job, and queried JL again. They finally said that they had made an error with the estimate, omitting stair pads and miscalculating measurements.
Eventually they agreed to settle at the price of the original quote.

wowfudge Sat 11-Jun-16 09:36:08

Buy your own underlay online - that's where carpet retailers have a huge mark up. We paid something like £2.99 psm.

Saurus72 Sat 11-Jun-16 09:55:22

Wow, thanks so much for all the replies. Not looking good for John Lewis! Sunnydayinmay, randomly, I am indeed in Herts - Hertford. Any recommendations gratefully received, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now