Are your doors/frames/skirtings etc not white gloss?

(12 Posts)
Draylon Thu 02-Jun-16 12:40:57

Am putting this in DIY, too!

I am wondering whether to stay white or not throughout the house. I'd get satin, not gloss (probably Dulux satinwood) but- should I go white or cream- or something else?

These are my colours- but can't decide if going 'not white' would make the woodwork look faded/yellowed?

redhat Thu 02-Jun-16 12:43:31

White satinwood here. Gloss is a bit dated now and the satinwood has enough of a sheen to make it easy to keep clean.

I think the off whites can look nice but personally I like the consistency of white woodwork throughout the house.

Hushabyelullaby Thu 02-Jun-16 12:47:48

Oooh I love your colour scheme! I'd go for white satin based on this, then again brilliant white would be too 'white' and wouldn't go (iyswim), maybe a white similar to the Toque white? I think cream may appear too yellowy.

Chasingsquirrels Thu 02-Jun-16 12:50:10

I came on to say mine aren't, but they are stained dark wood - so totally different & no help!
Those colours look lovely though.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 02-Jun-16 12:50:30

Mine are a mixture of white gloss and hideous dark varnish from the previous owners, we replaced the living room ones with just very light natural varnish (walls are white so liked the slightly different tone). I have to admit that the three different varieties do my head in, must nag DH to replace some more over the summer. But to answer your question I'd go for either natural wood or white satin like redhat, but whatever you do, keep it consistent.

Draylon Thu 02-Jun-16 13:05:21

Thanks all for the advice. I think the 'Toque' white would be my choice, now, in satin.

I was despairing about colours til I discovered Houzz, and found my way around Pinterest. It's surprising how 'in' these colours are; they're everywhere!

Mcchickenbb41 Thu 02-Jun-16 23:13:14

Hi we've just painted all the wood work in our hall stairs and landing egyption cotton (dulux). It looks gorgeous. Dh is s floor layer and works in some stunning houses and sees a lot off woodwork in his job and has noticed how many people are opting for colours now rather than white

WellErrr Thu 02-Jun-16 23:20:33

White gloss gives me nightmares. And cheapens all the colours around it.

Mine are F&B (but colour matched in Valspar!) Pointing in eggshell throughout. Looks white, but isn't white. The difference next to actual white is huge, but you can't tell unless you hold a bit of a4 up to it. The point is that it is much softer and improves all the colours around it.

Doors are Shaded White also in eggshell.

wobblywonderwoman Sat 04-Jun-16 11:18:23

Ours are satin - a white with a hint of grey even a touch green you could say but very subtle. Absolutely love it

justaweeone Sat 04-Jun-16 23:04:22

Farrow and Ball pointing in eggshell throughout

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Thu 30-Jun-16 02:37:41

White satinwood. Personally I find gloss a bit 70s.

PrincessWizard Thu 07-Jul-16 18:52:52

Ours (well the ones we've got round to doing so far, 4 years in!) are in Dulux Timeless Satinwood. Lovely off white colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now