what colour worktops with white or cream units?

(28 Posts)
Koala2 Tue 24-May-16 17:24:10

I am truly rubbish at selecting colours. Kitchen will be a painted white or cream (haven't decided yet) in a shaker style. Floor is an interdeterminate colour which will go with anything. Walls undecided, but the room isn't the lightest so need to keep it light I think. I have a light blue cooker.

I don't like black worktops, and I am worried grey will date quickly. Currently got yellow worktops with yellow units which looks horrible so after a change from that. Not very keen on brown worktops either.

Any ideas would be really appreciated, I am going mad looking at paint charts!

needanewjob Tue 24-May-16 17:26:04

Oak!?!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 24-May-16 17:30:35

Oak
Sage green

RiverTam Tue 24-May-16 17:31:22

We have solid beech work tops.

MrsJacksonAvery Tue 24-May-16 17:33:35

I have glossy cream cupboards and oak worktops. Looks lovely.

FerkTheeesSheet Tue 24-May-16 17:39:51

you've ruled out quite a few options there! We did our kitchen about three years ago and settled on black granite but I was gobsmacked at the amount of colour options that were in the showroom. They had mined granite in a surprising amount of colours for a natural product but they also had composite stuff in every colour under sun.
Though think about getting a colour that could be "re-dressed" by changing the wall colour if you got bored and wanted a change. More muted tones can be brought back to look completely different with different accessories. I'd be wary of making too much of a statement that'll look dated very fast.

FerkTheeesSheet Tue 24-May-16 17:41:44

Also, are you on Pinterest? I only came across it after decorating but there are a million different ideas on there. A lot of beginner help and that, might be worth a look.

HooseRice Tue 24-May-16 17:43:52

I have a cream gloss kitchen with black quartz work tops.

I think it looks lovely.

Koala2 Tue 24-May-16 17:51:42

Sorry have already ruled out real wood - too much work!

Koala2 Tue 24-May-16 17:53:23

Ferk yes that is why I am having problems choosing!

Purplehonesty Tue 24-May-16 17:59:59

Get wood look worktops?

Or go for my

FerkTheeesSheet Tue 24-May-16 18:07:42

I'd definitely have a quick browse on Pinterest or Houzz. Loads of example pictures and guides on colour matching. A lot of it is in bloody enormous airy mansions that are out of my league but I have found a bit of inspiration on there for other rooms that we are starting to think about doing.

Koala2 Tue 24-May-16 18:09:01

purple tantalising half sentence!

RiverTam Tue 24-May-16 18:14:36

Our solid wood hasn't been any work at all, in 10+ years we've never done anything to it, and it's still looking good. I know you're meant to oil them but we've simply never had to!

Lweji Tue 24-May-16 18:18:35

How about red granite, like this?

Koala2 Tue 24-May-16 18:59:32

lweji I have never seen anything like that!

Lweji Tue 24-May-16 20:22:04

I was looking more for granite with some red, as the last on this site.
www.houzz.com/ideabooks/16354930/list/5-favorite-granites-for-gorgeous-kitchen-countertops

Not sure how easy it is to find that deep shade, but it came out when I googled red granite.

Koala2 Tue 24-May-16 21:23:09

Some great ideas on the link, thank you

Thelovecats Sat 28-May-16 21:53:33

I love my grey and Ivory kitchen. The walls are dulux overtly olive.

lionsleepstonight Sun 29-May-16 08:58:02

I've seen a few pics of white kitchens with a marble top. Pricey but would give you the light look you need. I'm saving to swap my year old oak worktops for it. They've been a nightmare even though I've oiled and sanded regularly.

MargotLovedTom Sun 29-May-16 09:03:09

Shaker style looks best with wood I think - I wouldn't have real wood though, too much hassle. I know the very word 'laminate' is verboten on here wink, but we have laminate wood worktops and they look bloody marvellous.

Squashybanana Sun 29-May-16 09:11:42

I have real wood (oak) worktops but instead of oiling them we have them sealed with a clear Matt varnish (used for pub bar tops so food safe and hard bearing). It is no work at all and they look lovely, people comment all the time. However I know 'kutchenhaus' kitchens come with laminate wood as an alternative....

Hulababy Sun 29-May-16 09:12:51

We have white gloss units and solid oak tops

bookbook Sun 29-May-16 09:20:50

I have gloss white units, with a pale green sparkle quartz top - , but you can any colour under the sun.

Koala2 Sun 29-May-16 09:38:37

Book would you post a picture? Sounds very nice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now