Advice needed on a waterbased satinwood paint

(9 Posts)
Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Mon 02-May-16 13:34:48

We are currently decorating our house and need advice on the best paint to use for skirting boards, doors and alcove units.

We last painted about 3 years ago and used this paint on the interior woodwork. It covered well BUT during the summer months we noticed an odd smell in the house. After several weeks (and numerous forums) we discovered that it was the paint which smelt very odd as the house warmed up in summer. It wasn't a "paint smell" - it was more like a clinical medicine smell - most peculiar!!!

To avoid this we've decided to use a water based satinwood but, after reading reports of it going on like milk, we'd appreciate recommendations as to which brand gives the best coverage (some of the paint will be applied through a sprayer).

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent quality water based satinwood paint?

wowfudge Mon 02-May-16 14:27:11

Dulux trade. B&Q sell it.

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Mon 02-May-16 14:46:36

I was looking at the Dulux one from B&Q but apparently they don't sell it anymore.

This made me wonder why???

wowfudge Mon 02-May-16 20:24:31

Screwfix seem to sell it (same parent company as B&Q). Pretty sure that's the one I used and it was fine.

Chloe94 Wed 04-May-16 10:25:41

We use crown satin never had a problem and looks very nice smile

OTheHugeManatee Wed 04-May-16 10:29:37

Don't bother with B&Q or Homebase. Find your nearest Screwfix, or better still, if you have a Brewers Decorators Merchant anywhere nearby they can get most things in for you. They stock for the trade so have far better quality brushes, rollers and the like as well. I'm 75% through redecorating our entire house and am devoted to Brewers.

FWIW all our woodwork so far has been done with Dulux Satinwood. It goes on easily, doesn't stink and so far has worn well. The only caveat I'd make is if you're using it on fresh/not previously painted or treated woodwork, eg recently replaced skirting or architrave, use a knot blocking primer rather than a regular one as resin can stain through even 2 coats of primer and some of paint.

OTheHugeManatee Wed 04-May-16 10:31:25

Brewers branch finder. Bear in mind they don't hold loads of stock but will get stuff in for you next day for collection if you call them before about 11am.

(I don't work for Brewers, btw, just used them a lot grin)

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Wed 04-May-16 17:16:59

Thank you for all the info.

Yesterday a colleague at work recommended this paint (which I've never heard of).

It has good reviews so I've ordered a 1 litre tin to try, before deciding if I like it enough to do the entire house.

If that doesn't suit then I'll try one of your recommendations. Many Thanks,

Corneliussnitch Wed 11-May-16 20:07:07

Another vote for Sikkens satura, have tried many but love this stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now