Removing wallpaper

(9 Posts)
jamtartandcustard Wed 13-Apr-16 10:37:21

I have some wallpaper I want to remove in both the hallway and living room and not a clue how to do it. There seems to be so many ideas online, I would really like a tried-and-tested easy method for removing it that doesn't involve steam. Thank you

OliviaDunham Wed 13-Apr-16 11:02:59

If it's shiny you need to score it, then cover it with hot soapy water. Wait a few minutes and peel. Really satisfying when you can get a whole strip off in one go (maybe that's just me!)

Pinkstars2501 Thu 14-Apr-16 07:15:06

We've just moved and had an entire house (and I mean EVERY wall, including bathroom) of wallpaper to strip.

We didn't want to use steam either, so we covered it in water with a big sponge and just peeled. I was going to use a bit of soap in the water but it really didn't need it.

As said above, most satisfying getting a floor to ceiling sized bit off smile

Rupster Thu 14-Apr-16 09:27:07

I found it useful to have water in a squirty bottle. The trick is to get the paper as wet as possible, then it will peel off more easily. I use a normal scraper.

TheScottishPlay Thu 14-Apr-16 09:32:42

If it's woodchip you will need a steamer (and a strong will!).

Kstar8 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:19:35

We're renovating a house at the moment and have stripped all rooms using a steamer. There were some sections that you could slide a palette knife under (one of life's most satisfying feelings as others have said!) but for a lot of it we were left with annoying backing paper. And we too found wood chip which wouldn't have budged without steaming. The steamer made things a lot easier/quicker and removed pesky layers of paint, glue and other gunk that sponging wouldn't. We were lucky to be able to borrow one but I think we would have got our money's worth had we bought one.
I've sponged walls before and the water dripping up my arms drove me mad. Is there a reason why you don't want to steam OP?

Kstar8 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:23:04

You also might want to think about what the wallpaper is hiding if you didn't put it up yourself......the patterned wall paper we removed was hiding dodgy old plaster, a lot of which came away and is now being re-skimmed. Hopefully no nasties behind yours!

JT05 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:01:18

Remember to start at the top so the water runs down the wall, by the time you get to the bottom it should be sliding off 😃

RaeSkywalker Sat 16-Apr-16 16:06:00

We got some wallpaper-removing spray from B&Q. Worked really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now