Radiators rusty, anyone tried painting them?

(18 Posts)
Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 09:25:30

I live in a rental property. It's cheap and the letting agency and landlord aren't particularly helpful.

When I moved in it was filthy and in a bad condition. I didn't have much choice, as I couldn't find anywhere that would accept my pets.

I've scrubbed and cleaned, put up pictures and mirrors and curtains and generally it looks much better.

The radiators however are a mess, chipped and rusting. I'm useless at diy and decorating, but as I'll be staying here a while yet I would like to improve how they look.

Has anyone painted radiators? Any advice on the best way to go about it? Needs to be cheap!

specialsubject Mon 11-Apr-16 09:59:12

It never works, believe me. Cheaper to replace them. Try a deal with the landlord.

Gas safe? Deposit protected?

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 10:00:57

I can't afford anying like that and the landlord won't do anything in the house (the paint is flaking off the ceiling in the hallway and the bath leaks).

MegTheCat Mon 11-Apr-16 10:03:59

I've painted a radiator - with special radiator paint from B&Q - and it looks fine. But it wasn't rusty or chipped - just a bit discoloured.

specialsubject Mon 11-Apr-16 11:43:15

Well, at least it is a cheap dump rather than an expensive one. There are rights and protections for you as a leaking bath isn't acceptable.

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 13:10:54

I've called him out three times to look at the bath. He decided it's leaking at the ends, so now I have two strategically placed flannels wink to stop it. It's just an unloved grotty place, but it's a roof over our heads.

specialsubject Mon 11-Apr-16 14:31:35

ok, if you're willing to put up with renting a dump from a crook, go ahead. He'll think it is great.

if not, speak to environmental health for advice.

gas safe? deposit protection? EPC?

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 14:35:03

It was the only place I could find that would take pets sad

Yes it has gas certificates, epc, deposit protection .. All handled by a letting agency.

I'm not sure environmental health would get involved? It's just rust ..

goldfinch01 Mon 11-Apr-16 14:43:44

Yes I have tried stripping/sanding/painting/spraying rusty radiators. It was a disaster. I ended up buying new radiators and the builders laughed at me for even trying with the old ones blush

How about wooden radiator covers? Although admittedly they're not usually that cheap.

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 14:51:19

Thanks .. the radiator is in the kitchen, in a tiny space, no room for a cover - even if they weren't so expensive.

specialsubject Mon 11-Apr-16 15:20:16

true, environmental health won't care about the radiators, but the leaking bath IS an issue. They may well spot other dilapidations.

don't put on radiator covers, they block heat! And don't paint them either, it will just make a mess and waste your time and money.

yes, most landlords don't take pets for obvious reasons, but that doesn't exonerate yours from providing a decent place to live. You did rent it in a tatty condition, your choice, but it still shouldn't have leaky plumbing.

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 15:31:08

Maybe ... the problem is the bath doesn't leak as such ... it's just water runs down the side at the wall and the top at the wall, then drips down the side of the bath onto the floor, pools there and then comes through the ceiling ... IF I don't have the strategically placed facecloths! I'm not sure that's technically a leaking bath ...

I also don't want to jeapordise my tenancy here, as, as stated above there are few landlords who will allow pets in their properties.

Kikibanana86 Mon 11-Apr-16 20:33:11

Ive painted radiators using radiator paint from b&q and ive actually used satinwood before and they came up lovely. They were discoloured and only rusty in a few places. All I did was wipe it down and then paint, didn't Sandor anything,they looked great

glasg0wmum Mon 11-Apr-16 20:36:30

Yes we painted the bottom of the bathroom radiator where the paint was flaking but it was a spray can. Not a perfect finish, but acceptable and much better than it was before painting.

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 21:15:06

I've bought a spray can of radiator paint and a sanding block this afternoon and I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. I'll test on the side of the radiator first where it isn't so visible.

Thanks for all the comments.

Cressandra Mon 11-Apr-16 21:32:14

Hammerite make special paint for covering rust. It is very effective for a patch up job IME.

Kikibanana86 Tue 12-Apr-16 07:41:27

I'd just give it a try op, it sounds like they can't look worse than they already do!

wowfudge Tue 12-Apr-16 13:23:42

Don't use Hammerite. It doesn't last. I used rust remover from Halfords - rubbing the rust off with steel wool. Wear gloves to protect your hands. Wipe down and dry. Then use a scouring pad to key the surface and prime then paint with satinwood paint - use the water based one. It worked fine for me. No rust has returned nine months later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now