Microwave - or not?

(10 Posts)
fancyacoffee Thu 24-Mar-16 07:17:46

We've never had a microwave but as we're getting a new kitchen fitted i thought it might be nice to get one installed. I'm sure is find uses for it, even though I've never missed not having one. Question is, what would I actually use it for? Is it really worth having one? Would love all of your thoughts x

SweepTheHalls Thu 24-Mar-16 07:20:06

I use ours every day smile, to make best use of space it is an integrated one that is also an oven and grill. I hear milk, beans etc in it, defrost meat /left overs on it. Make much cakes for quick puddings, mumsnet cheese sauce etc.

MelanieCheeks Thu 24-Mar-16 07:23:22

I use mine to make scrambled eggs or porridge for my breakfast. To heat up leftovers for lunch. To heat beans, sweetcorn or peas. Mushy peas tonight to go with fish fingers! Melting chocolate. Heating up my cup of tea that has gone cold.

trinity0097 Mon 28-Mar-16 18:54:56

I defrost quick suppers, bread rolls, cook beans and hubby cooks ready meals if I am out,

Ifitaintfixed Mon 28-Mar-16 20:38:31

I don't use mine, it's in the utility room won't replace it when it breaks.

Qwebec Tue 29-Mar-16 21:20:28

If you never missed not having one, don't get one. they take too much space for what they are. I only use ours for popcorn and some times to reheat a meal.

wowfudge Tue 29-Mar-16 21:50:31

I use mine several times a day: to heat milk for coffee in the mornings, to make porridge, heat soup, cook veg, defrost things, reheat batch cooked meals, etc, etc. It's great.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 29-Mar-16 23:07:08

I use mine for defrosting and reheating a lot.
Also making porridge, popcorn and cooking rice.

When we moved we didn't have one at first and I thought we wouldn't bother but I really missed it, I was quite surprised how much.

catbasilio Wed 30-Mar-16 08:26:05

We did not have microwave for about 3 years and then got a new one. The best bit - jacket potato (from frozen) in 5 mins. Heating milk for cereal. Don't use much otherwise, as it is not healthy, for that reason got the smallest on the market for ocassional use only.

Rupster Wed 30-Mar-16 11:11:32

We use ours a lot. It's great for reheating food and defrosting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now