Ceiling track for curtain

(10 Posts)
lorelei9 Sun 20-Mar-16 11:58:58

really hope some clever MNers can help me with this.

I need to find a ceiling track for curtains. I am finding that many curtain outlet places look at me blankly, and some of the stuff I've seen online isn't very nice.

the ceiling won't take much weight, so I can't have a heavy curtain, I have to get something lightweight. There's no way to fit a pelmet or anything that will hide a fitting.

Something like this is fine but I'm confused as to what type of curtain fits to it?
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30079365/

(I will just explain what I have already because I know someone will ask - the previous resident was clearly a great DIYer because they set up something akin to a perfect fit blind. (Now badly broken). I've had 3 blind fitting companies come out to do quotes and they all said that it was an excellent DIY job but because everything was cut minutely to size, it can't be done for less than £700, which I don't have).

clearly answer is ceiling track - can MNers share all their knowledge of ceiling tracks and the types of curtains which attach to them? The Ikea option is ideal but I just can't see how to fit an ordinary curtain to it. The window frame and opening is done in such a way that any fitting sticking out of the wall or window frame is not possible.

thanks for any advice you can give!

GraciesMansion Sun 20-Mar-16 12:01:18

We have a curtain track fixed to the ceiling in our bay window. It was just from b&q, fits using the usual hook things.

lorelei9 Sun 20-Mar-16 12:06:20

Thanks Grace

is it white plastic? The window surround here is like a dark brown/black so the white plastic looks quite stark against it.

I've just found this on the Ikea site, does this look as though a regular curtain hook would go through it - what does everyone think? Thanks.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70188683/

wowfudge Sun 20-Mar-16 13:08:06

Can you post a photo of your window so we can see what you mean OP?

lorelei9 Sun 20-Mar-16 13:17:52

wow, prefer not to as convinced there are people I know on here.

not sure why you need a pic though?

lorelei9 Sun 20-Mar-16 13:19:15

just imagine UPVC double glazed window with the UPVC in a very dark brown/black.

wowfudge Sun 20-Mar-16 19:59:09

Hmm - no idea whether you can fix a batten to the ceiling which a curtain track can be fixed to as I can't see what it is like where the window frame meets the ceiling. If you can locate the joists you can fix a batten or the track to them.

lorelei9 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:05:07

wow, yes, that can be done. What I'm having trouble with is finding a ceiling curtain track.

I've had a better look and I can see how curtains affix to the IKEA one. Now if I can find one the right size, and ideally in a dark colour - brown/black - even better.

sorry if I wasn't clear, I was really looking for a good place to find a choice of ceiling tracks and how ordinary curtains fit to them - but I think I've solved that half now.

FreddieBoswellsHair Tue 22-Mar-16 19:49:25

Dunelm Mill have a curtain track that fits onto the ceiling , I was looking at it the other day. It is by a company called Swish but Dunelm only had it in white aluminium. If you look online for Swish Minima you may be able to find it in other colours.

lorelei9 Tue 22-Mar-16 20:04:12

Thanks Freddie
Just googling that has led me to other ceiling tracks as well, thanks so much grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now