Red gloss kitchen

(11 Posts)
vvviola Mon 14-Mar-16 09:49:03

We're buying a new house, with an ancient kitchen that will need to come out and be replaced before we move in.

I dragged DH to the seventh circle of hell Ikea yesterday to look at options, assuming we'd just be umming and ahhing over what shade of cream for the cabinet and what sort of wood for the worktops.

Instead we both fell in love with the red gloss kitchen. With black worktops, silver appliances and possibly grey tiles on the floor.

I'm just wondering does anyone have one? What's it like installed? Is it very dark? Do you get bored of it quickly. It really is very different to what I expected I'd like.

ConkersDontScareSpiders Mon 14-Mar-16 22:32:08

No, but I've been wanting those red gloss doors for years!!

ConkersDontScareSpiders Mon 14-Mar-16 22:32:52

I've a friend that has it with black work tops and it looks stunning.

Kummerspeck Mon 14-Mar-16 22:36:09

Someone I know had a German kitchen that was a deep red gloss unit with some silvery grey ones in one section for contrast. She invited people round to see it when it was first done and we were all shock
It was truly horrid. Looked like a set for a 1970s movie.

Can you get a computer design thingy to see what it would look like before you invest in a whole kitchen?

vvviola Tue 15-Mar-16 13:29:24

We've done the computer design thing and it looks quite cool, but I still have trouble seeing how it will look in reality.

We'll be up at the house again tomorrow to measure some stuff, so that might help me picture it better.

I suppose, worst case scenario, if I really truly hate it, it's just Ikea so I could replace the doors.

The dining room connected to the kitchen (semi open plan if I persuade DH that I'm right about knocking down the wall), will be much more muted, so it should balance a bit. I hope.

icelollycraving Sun 20-Mar-16 22:32:25

We had one cupboard with red gloss door in our hall at our old place. With colour,you can get tired of it more quickly than neutrals.

megletthesecond Sun 20-Mar-16 22:39:23

A house near me was on the market for ages and it had a gloss red kitchen. It never sold and after looking at the photos I'm sure the kitchen didn't help. It was just too intense.

Pollaidh Sun 20-Mar-16 22:39:39

I had my eye on a gloss kitchen, possibly red. My cleaner put me off when she told me they were awful for fingerprints and marks - she cleans a lot of houses with gloss cupboards.

vvviola Mon 21-Mar-16 10:27:34

Oh, this isn't sounding good sad

I was really falling in love with the idea of the vivid colours.

I just can't get enthusiastic about any of the other kitchens I've seen. But equally I don't want to make a terrible mistake.

icelollycraving Mon 21-Mar-16 11:03:25

If you're going to be there a while then go for it. If it came to it & you were trying to sell & had difficulties,you could always get new doors.
Strong colours are love or hate.

wowfudge Mon 21-Mar-16 23:02:17

meglet has posted something similar to what I'm going to say: red or black (or red and black) kitchens are a real Marmite thing. Having been house hunting recently, I can say that both do not appeal. I would choose something neutral and easier to live with and accessorise with red instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now