are brown leather sofas terribly out of date now ?

(43 Posts)
lostsheep Sun 13-Mar-16 18:19:19

trying to decide what to do with my living room . cant get a plan together at all .

Drinksforeveryone Sun 13-Mar-16 18:21:31

Dunno - but I am sat comfortably on one of mine. And looking at the other.

I think it depends on what style - and how you decorate your lounge ?

ChristianGreysAnatomy Sun 13-Mar-16 18:22:05

I have one - got it free from bil, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen it. It's like a big brown hulking lump on the room and it's cold and slippery. And yes, quite dated. However the kids love it and it's really tough, and I don't have to worry about them wrecking it.

So, that's no help.

Paddletonio Sun 13-Mar-16 18:27:15

Not necessarily

I have a tan leather corner sofa which is in quite a modern style and definitely not dated. So comfy and I love it!

lostsheep Sun 13-Mar-16 18:28:50

what colour are your floors and furniture ?

EarlyInTheMourning Sun 13-Mar-16 19:00:26

Not necessarily. It depends on the sofa and the rest of the deco. Boho chic with ethnic rugs look great with chunky aged leather sofas.

caravanista Sun 13-Mar-16 19:07:43

I've got blue leather. Wonderfully grandchild and granddog proof!

mollyonthemove Sun 13-Mar-16 19:15:12

I hope not! We have two lovely ones which were hideously expensive - got them dirt cheap off snooty neighbours who moved to a more desirable area grin

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sun 13-Mar-16 19:19:55

Hope not! I have a set of Chesterfields on order.

WellTidy Fri 18-Mar-16 14:20:46

I think they were dated when we bought ours five years ago. But I don care. They are practical for us as DH is the type to spill everything and they wipe clean. And we like having takeaways sitting in the sofa at the weekends. Ours are the Abbey range from m and s, we have two of them. And an abbey love seat in a chenille. Loads of cushions and throws to soften it all up.

toastedbeagle Fri 18-Mar-16 18:12:46

We've got two. After two very messy kids I'm grateful for them being dark and wipe able. I actually wanted to get a grey upholstered one from JL pre kids but very glad I didnt , may as well have just set £1800 on fire!

Kbear Fri 18-Mar-16 18:15:13

I think leather is cold and uncomfortable and I'd never buy another one - want mine? lol

I do see the practicalility of them though but I prefer a cosy upholstered one which will be my next purchase in about ten years haha

ivykaty44 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:16:19

I thought leather high back wing chairs were in, but I'm old fashioned tbh and just buy what I like and is confy.

So many sofas are not deep enough for me, so I like to try wink

Perfectlypurple Fri 18-Mar-16 18:17:40

I don't know about out of date but we have one and I hate it. It is cold, slippery and I have to cover it with a throw, which slips off when you move. Luckily we have a new one ordered and I can't wait for it to arrive.

I do think they can look lovely though.

Chocolatteaddict1 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:18:15

Depends which style and make.

Some are timeless and built to last, some are cheap shite and it shows

anyoldname76 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:18:49

i like brown leather suites, easily cleaned, fit in with most decor and not too harsh.

FishOn Fri 18-Mar-16 18:24:02

I think so, for the most part. I rarely see 'naice' ones I like - ours were very generic and I was sick of the sight of them after about 10 yrs.

I was thrilled to get shot of mine a couple of years ago. Bloody things were indestructible....which is why they are so good for families grin

Gave one away and DH and I took great delight in destroying the other to get it in the truck for the tip.

Bryt Fri 18-Mar-16 18:29:24

We have some. I don't particularly like the look of them, but I think there are better styles out there now. I find them too 'masculine' for want of a better word. I like luxurious fabrics. They are great for a family though as I don't ever worry about the children messing them up. I don't find them too cold either. They soon warm up. I have, however, vowed to change them for a velvet sofa when my children are not children anymore.

FrankUnderwoodsWife Fri 18-Mar-16 18:37:24

I think so. Personally I've never seen a nice one.
They may be practical but they're just so ugly, unless it's an ancient Chesterfield in a 200 year old house.
I have dogs and an incredibly messy child, and I have white upholstered sofas. You can wash the covers and they don't shrink.
I love sinking into the feather cushions. You just don't get the same feeling with a leather sofa.

GibbousHologram Fri 18-Mar-16 18:40:10

We have dark brown leather sofas and an abundance of cushions/throws to make them warm. I love them, but we're not going to be winning any design competitions with them.

crispytruffle Fri 18-Mar-16 18:41:40

I think it depends on where you buy it from . If I am buying leather I do not go somewhere like DFS! Expensive leather sofas look timeless.

Lamu Fri 18-Mar-16 18:52:34

Absolutely agree, good quality sofas should be timeless. Love our leather sofas. As does Dd2--with her fecking crayons--. hmm They're really practical, we've cleaned them multiple times, comfy, wouldn't swap them for fabric. They cost a ridiculous amount but hoping to have them for at least 10 years before sending them back to be serviced.

GibbousHologram Fri 18-Mar-16 18:53:03

This is okay.

GibbousHologram Fri 18-Mar-16 18:53:47

This is not.

Lamu Fri 18-Mar-16 18:57:33

grin that is horrendous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now