what is the best hard wearing but safe floor

(7 Posts)
Mummamayhem Thu 25-Feb-16 21:54:07

New house needs new flooring in hallway and open plan kitchen/living area.

We've 2 young children (with thoughts of expanding our brood) so it's important it's not too hard for falling tots and something that can withstand the mess/easy to clean....

It's got underfloor heating if that makes any difference.

I'm clueless about types of flooring, is hard wood the nicest or will it just scratch?

holeinmyheart Fri 26-Feb-16 07:45:50

Mmmm I am a bit torn as having children in the house will definately affect the flooring.
I had Kardean in my kitchen. This was put on over a concrete floor. In the Hall I have Marmolean which is put in in a check pattern with a plain border over a wooden floor( you need hardboard underneath) Amtico will still be down when you have pegged it as it is so hard wearing.
All the above are very very hard wearing laminates, but do you want them to be there in 15 years time when your taste has changed.?
All the above are also expensive high quality laminates. They did well with my DCs for 25 years. I am changing them all now,
Then there are the other laminates. There are so many. If you go to any carpet store, the laminates will be classed as to their suitability. I don't like very cheap laminate personally, but it will last long enough.
Given the choice ( money no object) I would have polished concrete or real wood limed oak . I have polished real wood in the sitting room and dining room. In the utility I have grey porcelain tiles and continue that into the loo, shower room. Playroom has cheap laminate, other rooms have laminate.
Anything dropped onto tiles can break them and break the object that smashed into them.
As you have underfloor heating I think I would go with tiles. Cream tiles/ stone are in, and will be in fashion for around 10 years.
Except tiles can become slippy when wet.

holeinmyheart Fri 26-Feb-16 07:51:35

In my family room I put half laminate and half carpet down.It was a good idea to put laminate where the children were eating. I put carpet in the sitting area.
I organised the flooring in my house so that as people came in, there was enough washable flooring between any carpet, to shout oi, when I spotted dog poo, or dirt on their feet.
I am amazed by how many adults don't wipe their feet when they come into my house. Never mind children.

Mummamayhem Fri 26-Feb-16 09:31:02

Off to Google limed oak real wood! I worry tiles would be too slippy/painful to fall on (and no doubt I'd smash glasses etc too!)

Thank you for your reply. I agree about people not wiping their feet, it'll be a shoes off house here!!

RuddyHellItsSoftCell Fri 26-Feb-16 09:34:12

We've just had Tegola by carpet right fitted and I love it. Only been in a few days though so can't comment on longevity. It has replaced ceramic tiles, which I found way too hard and cold.

wowfudge Fri 26-Feb-16 21:15:05

Karndean and Amtico are not laminates - they are luxury vinyl tiles. Also consider Polyflor, another lvt which is a bit cheaper, but no less hard wearing.

holeinmyheart Sat 27-Feb-16 07:55:23

Kardean and Amtico are Vinyl ...... Sorry floor covering police !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now