Can someone give me a very rough idea of decorator charges please

(18 Posts)
Ticktacktock Wed 17-Feb-16 15:09:53

We are in the north of England and have a decorator coming round tomorrow to do a whole house more or less.

Does anyone have any idea of the going rate please? And we were thinking of asking them to accept the agreed price for the whole job, rather than hourly. Does that sound fair? Or possibly a price per room? Please advise me!

Thanks in advance x

Destinysdaughter Wed 17-Feb-16 15:12:55

I currently have a decorator doing 4 rooms and he charges £15 per hour ( West Midlands ) . As the rooms also need some plastering and sanding, the cost of the living room will be aprox £500. Hope that helps!

Destinysdaughter Wed 17-Feb-16 15:14:11

Another decorator offered a discount for being paid in cash.

Ticktacktock Wed 17-Feb-16 17:42:40

Golly Destiny, does that mean you'll be forking out £2000 for 4 rooms!???? That's more than we can afford.

silversixpence Wed 17-Feb-16 19:59:26

We had a quote of 4k for a 3 bed semi with 2 receptions including hallway.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 17-Feb-16 20:18:05

We're NW and we've had various quotes. It really depends whether you're including preparing walls (so removing paper etc) sanding down woodwork, whether you're including door frames / window sills etc. Our last cost was hall stairs and landing in a 3 bed semi - to include skirting boards and door frames but not doors themselves nor bannister / spindles. That was £1000 for 1 undercoat & 2 coats on the walls. 2 coats of ceiling paint.

I'd say £500 per room for everything would be reasonable, less (maybe £300 if you're preparing walls yourself / limiting woodwork) with an overall discount for having a whole house maybe?

Ticktacktock Wed 17-Feb-16 20:31:08

Thank you for your replies. Bloody hell I can't believe how expensive it is. I'm really worried now, I thought it might be about£100 a room.

OhforGodsake Wed 17-Feb-16 20:35:55

I've just had my kitchen, hall, stairs, landing and living room decorated. I paid £100 per day and it took 4 days. I purchased all materials (paints etc) .

caroldecker Wed 17-Feb-16 20:36:01

You will also have to pay for the paint

OhforGodsake Wed 17-Feb-16 20:36:26

I'm in the NW.

redhat Wed 17-Feb-16 20:38:16

You are generally looking at between 400 - 600 per room.

SantanaBinLorry Wed 17-Feb-16 20:42:50

northwest... 100quid a day, buy your own paint/materials.
Could be 100quid a room, but it would look shit and I doubt you'd find anyone decent who would rush a room a day.

100quid a day - 8 hours - 12ish quid an hour for .skilled labourer. Id say thats pretty good.

SantanaBinLorry Wed 17-Feb-16 20:43:14

I can recommend someone if you like smile

namechangedtoday15 Wed 17-Feb-16 21:01:31

I'd also be slightly concerned about someone doing hall stairs landing and 2 rooms in 4 days hmm

Ticktacktock Thu 18-Feb-16 18:31:39

Thanks for the offer Santana, I don't think we're in the same area at all though.

We have agreed on £12 per hour. We are supplying all materials and ladders, brushes etc. Hopefully by the time she starts the house will be fully prepared with no sanding to do, and carpets up.

Thanks all for your help, it was great to get an idea first, but I have to admit we are paying more than I expected. I think I need to retrain as a decorator!

SantanaBinLorry Fri 19-Feb-16 16:50:21

No worries. Whoever you go for they'll be happy that you prep the rooms before hand. You'll be getting the most for your money that way. Not paying for somwone else to move your furniture, now that would be a good hourly rate grin

redhat Fri 19-Feb-16 18:00:28

i would be inclined to ask for a quote for the work as a whole rather than an hourly rate. Or at the very least her estimate for the number of hours its going to take. What if she takes an hour to do a tiny area?

Ticktacktock Fri 19-Feb-16 19:49:00

I know redhat, I wanted to pay an amount for the whole job, but dh knows best of course and is paying an hourly rate. I'll have to keep dropping in to make sure they're working, as we don't live there!

The house is empty Santana, so no furniture to move, but I am struggling with the prepping. I HATE it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now