So confused - sofas

(20 Posts)
ShoddyDuchess Tue 16-Feb-16 09:52:09

Hello all. Just bought my first home and so starting again on furniture after years of IKEA (did the job but can't face yet another Ektorp!).

I need to buy sofas and I am soooo confused at this point as to where to shop. Like John Lewis stuff but at almost 2 grand per sofa it's more than I can spend. I like sofa.com but I am quite nervous about buying from an online retailer and not even trying it out before buying (nowhere near a showroom). I'm not keen on DFS or SCS as have heard lots of bad reviews on quality.

Ideally I would love interest free credit over at least 2 years as need to buy a full set.

Any ideas? Thanks!

wonkylegs Tue 16-Feb-16 10:05:23

Our sofas are from Multiyork, John Lewis (living room) and Ikea (playroom) - to be honest when comparing them with some of the deals out there and the quality they weren't that expensive.
The only place I would never buy a new sofa from was Furniture Village - it looked nice but the frame snapped after a month or so, the customer service trying to get that sorted out was horrendous (manager told me over the phone that it snapped because "I was too fat" - I turned up at the store to point out the ridiculousness ( I was 4"11 and a size 4) and rudeness of his statement)
I would never buy from them again - it was a design fault in the sofa which they could have easily sorted out but they didn't. Next sofa was the one from Multiyork which is fab (but was expensive)

wonkylegs Tue 16-Feb-16 10:05:44

Sorry that's probably not much help

Paddingtonthebear Tue 16-Feb-16 10:08:42

Furniture Village have a sale on currently and also offer credit options.

SwedishEdith Tue 16-Feb-16 10:11:40

We've had a mix over the years but all bought in sales (and one from Ebay). Multiyork always have sales and you can pay interest-free over 12 months. Also, check out John Lewis during their clearance sales.

Roseberrry Tue 16-Feb-16 10:49:40

We've used dfs twice now and had no problems. Comfy sofas that have lasted 2 years so far of dcs jumping on them. No hard sell either.

ThatsNotMyRabbit Tue 16-Feb-16 10:56:31

Never had a bad sofa from Dfs.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 16-Feb-16 10:59:42

M&S and John Lewis both good and both have good sales.

We got our last sofa from Sofas and Stuff 10 day range and I'm very happy with it. British made, there's a lot of showrooms (I 100% agree about trying before you buy, DH is much taller than me and we do both want different things from sofas!) and it's good value - they have a sale on just now too...

damncat Tue 16-Feb-16 11:05:12

We have just bought 2 sofas from made.com in their sale, sight unseen apart from the internet. They look even better in the flesh and are solid as rocks and v comfortable (firm). We're thrilled with them. They do have showrooms but not near us in deepest Devon. Also did credit

Finola1step Tue 16-Feb-16 11:13:01

We used dfs despite some rough reviews. Nearly 10 years later and 2 dc, they are still going strong. We did go for their mid range priced rather than cheap.

Multyork is lovely, so is John Lewis. My MIL bought some very nice armchairs from Next.

Tummyclutter Tue 16-Feb-16 11:25:52

Sofa.com offer a no quibble free return service up to 28 days after delivery if you change your mind.
I've had a couple of their sofas for 4 years, they look as good as new - cushions still as plump as the day I got them.

SquidgeyMidgey Tue 16-Feb-16 22:46:14

We've got M&S Abbey sofas in leather. Bought them 10 years ago with 30% off in the sales and they're still in perfect condition. Theyre not coddled so God alone knows how with kids and dogs but they are.

Babymamamama Tue 16-Feb-16 22:48:42

I can recommend multi York. Mine have lasted years and still look new. I wash the covers every six months or so.

mysteryfairy Tue 16-Feb-16 22:53:11

I have two sofa.com sofas and can vouch for them both being fab. I bought them both off the eBay clearance site for a huge discount. I assume someone else didn't like them under the 28 day returns but I am totally happy with them.

bigbadbarry Tue 16-Feb-16 22:56:09

Multiyork are fab and washable covers worth every penny. Prior to these though we had a dfs set that lasted for over 10 years - replaced because of grubbiness rather than becoming uncomfortable.

SnowBodyforrrrm Tue 16-Feb-16 22:58:14

Depending on where you are, it's worth heading to a trade secret warehouse. They stock john lewis, Laura Ashley, M&S and more old stock or cancelled orders. There isn't a webiste as they don't know what they're going to get but their warehouses are huge so should have plenty of choices!

MargotLovedTom Tue 16-Feb-16 23:09:41

We had DFS sofas for 12 years, they were hammered by numerous people kipping on them after drunken nights, then latterly by three boisterous DC, and like a pp only replaced them because they were grubby and the fabric was fraying a bit. They were still very comfortable.

Paddletonio Tue 16-Feb-16 23:17:57

I got mine from Dwell, also considered some from Next which were very reasonable prices.

ShoddyDuchess Wed 17-Feb-16 08:48:31

Thanks so much everyone! We are going to pop into Multiyork this weekend as they have a really good sale and the lady was really helpful when I spoke to her. Fingers crossed we can pick up a bargain - really want to get "forever" furniture so I know it's a long term investment, but I have never spent even close to what we need to spend on this kind of stuff before!

SquidgeyMidgey Wed 17-Feb-16 19:56:26

If you're not anti the idea leather is mch easier to get the years out of, especially with children, umm, spilling things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now