Please talk to me about light fittings

(15 Posts)
tilder Sun 14-Feb-16 21:40:02

I am looking for a living room light fitting to hang from a high ceiling. I have been looking for ages and so far all the only ones I like are £££.

I am looking for something large >60cm diameter. Any ideas? I would preferably spend <£100 but would go up to £200.

Quoteunquote Mon 15-Feb-16 09:20:36

What sort of style do you like?

tilder Mon 15-Feb-16 14:45:49

Am not entirely sure, that's probably my problem! It needs to be big though which is really limiting my choice.

I like the really modernist type stuff and like the idea of something big and round.

I've tried bhs, John Lewis, habitat, ikea with no joy! Any recommendations would be brilliant.

trickyex Tue 16-Feb-16 11:37:52

I have high ceilings and big rooms and bought all my light fittings on ebay but I chose fairly traditional (but simple) chandeliers.
Have you looked on ebay, searching for large light fittings?

damncat Tue 16-Feb-16 11:39:39

Try dwell.com?

tilder Wed 17-Feb-16 15:49:08

Thank you for the suggestions. I am a big fan of eBay but searching for large lights tends to show up things around 40-50cm diameter which are too small. I just think that I haven't thought of the right search terms for ebay yet. There are so many lights on there!

Dwell has lots of lighting links, thank you. I will have a look this evening.

MrsKipling16 Wed 17-Feb-16 18:56:40

This from Laura Ashley?

This from Next?

Not sure if they are big enough. What sort of style are you going for?

tilder Thu 18-Feb-16 07:33:33

Am no being very helpful am I. I like either very traditional (so I like the crystal chandeliers that are all over ebay) or very modern (I like big glass or wicker balls if I could find one big enough or the plastic 1950 type shapes again if they were big enough). Am ideally looking for something in matt silver or non metallic as the copper, brass and chrome doesn't really go.

It seems to be the size that I am struggling with.

I've just found the home lighting centre which has a lot (although no weights given for the lights!).

Who knew lights came in so many designs and could cost so much!

PennyDropt Thu 18-Feb-16 07:44:45

this on ebay under vintage lamp shades

tilder Fri 19-Feb-16 19:15:19

Wow that's really retro. Can I ask what search words you used pennydropt?

PennyDropt Fri 19-Feb-16 19:36:48

huge lamp shade vintage - It happened to have huge in its description so came up. That was searching All Categories.

howsyermammy Fri 19-Feb-16 19:41:31

Try searching 'huge light' on eBay.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 19-Feb-16 20:26:10

These

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 19-Feb-16 20:27:20

I like the odd shaped one

tilder Sun 21-Feb-16 06:59:16

I really like those, thank you sally. Will have a look on the website.

Thank you for the eBay search terms. Will have another try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now