little boy's bedroom - grey paint and more

(20 Posts)
Stevie77 Mon 01-Feb-16 20:53:36

I know there's a thread about grey colours, I'm on it but please bear with me.

I'm planning to redecorate my littlest bedroom, which is a small north facing room. I'd like to change the cream all over non colour scheme to a very pale grey, white woodwork and a couple of other accent colours. Due to the smallness of the room and the fact it's a child's room, I'd like to be a subtle grey. Bought some testers, but nothing seems right :-/ so, I'm looking for some tips, pointers, advice smile

Also, any good websites where I can get some ideas from? I initially thought a John Deere green as an accent colour, was looking for a plain rug but they tend to be moss green or dirty green. I've been looking at Pinterest but most rooms in there are too theme-y, I'm looking for classy ideas which will last some time (he's only 2yo).

Thanks

Quodlibet Mon 01-Feb-16 20:57:30

Have a look at Little Greene. Their 'Echo' shade is a lovely, soft light duck-egg grey, we have it in a north-west facing room and it works really well.

Lots of 'nursery' rooms on Pinterest are horribly themey. Have you had a look at Apartment Therapy? There's some great kids rooms on there.

Stevie77 Tue 02-Feb-16 19:51:10

Thanks, that's really helpful! I've not heard of Apartment Therapy either, off to look...

FlatOnTheHill Tue 02-Feb-16 20:03:02

Have a look at the paint called Craig & Rose. Formally 1829.
Very pale grey called Chalk White. In a small north facing room keep it pale but accessorise with nice colours. John Deere green is so dark and depressing for any part of a childs room.

teacher1984 Tue 02-Feb-16 20:11:01

Little Green 'Inox' !

We're obsessed with it. Totally suitable in small rooms too as its so subtle. We're even going to use it in our dark hallway ( originally thought we'd have to use white here for light & space ).

BearFoxBear Tue 02-Feb-16 20:23:18

Our boy has this same colour scheme - we went with a dulux paint, misty something maybe? We did it almost 2 years ago though, so they probably don't have the same one, but it's worth checking. Because ds's room is also small (and dark, it's a box room) I found it really helpful to get a few testers and try them out on the wall for a few days. It's amazing how different they look in a small space with little natural light, so maybe try that. I've made his room sound horrible so far!!

We've used brightly coloured little paper lanterns to give pops of colour, plus a few wall stickers, a yellow picture, yellow lightshade, and a few grey and white chevron accessories, rug etc. It looks fab smile

teacher1984 Tue 02-Feb-16 21:01:04

Bear -what light shade have you used in your sons room? My son has a grey room but I'm struggling to find a nice light shade

BearFoxBear Tue 02-Feb-16 21:18:31

We have this one, it's lovely, habitat have quite a few different yellow ones including a great one with elephants on it smile

www.habitat.co.uk/kura-large-yellow-paper-drum-lampshade-d42-xh-27cm-151673

teacher1984 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:21:56

Oh that's brilliant! Thank you!

BearFoxBear Tue 02-Feb-16 22:50:36

You're welcome smile

Stevie77 Thu 04-Feb-16 14:53:03

Thanks for the heat tips!

Stevie77 Thu 04-Feb-16 14:53:29

Great even #sausagefingers

legalalien Thu 04-Feb-16 15:10:09

We have Sanderson New Silver which I thought would be more of a mushroom colour than it turned out (yes, I know, the word silver should have been a giveaway). Anyway very innocuous, have cream navy and red with it and you hardly notice the grey which i think is good for a child's room.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 05-Feb-16 11:19:09

Dulux Pebble Shore. Looks greigey on the colour chart but definitely grey, a lovely grey. Used it in lots of other rooms now too.

kayessbee Sun 07-Feb-16 19:25:17

Check out Project Nursery on t'internet.....

Stevie77 Mon 08-Feb-16 23:49:18

👍🏻

LittleBeautyBelle Thu 11-Feb-16 10:59:48

Blackened by F&B is a soft, extremely light, barely there silver. We used it in our kitchen but it would look great in a bedroom.

You mentioned using a clear clean green as an accent. Young House Love blog accented their son's nursery in the green you're talking about and it looks great. They painted the closet door and other stuff. A very restful but interesting room.

Stevie77 Sun 14-Feb-16 11:05:17

Thanks, I'll look at that blog. Quite a hard to come by colour though...

kayessbee Mon 29-Feb-16 22:29:55

Ooh, just had a thought. Have you tried Paint and Paper Library? They aren't cold greys, but they do have varying depths of colour eg Slate 1, Slate 2 etc....might be worth a look as a north facing room might benefit from a touch of warmth to it....

Stevie77 Tue 01-Mar-16 16:06:14

Good tip, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now