The Perfect Grey?!

(58 Posts)
Twinklefuck Sun 17-Jan-16 08:43:58

Does this mythical creature even exist? Looking to paint an entire downstairs which will be North and South facing so my question is... What's the most versatile light grey in your opinion?

Will be going for sample pots today & so far have only one in mind hmm

SavoyCabbage Sun 17-Jan-16 08:58:32

I've got Engraved Locket from Dulux. It's nice colour wise but if I was doing it again I would get the colour matched and I would use Valspar premium as it only needs one coat.

Pipistrella Sun 17-Jan-16 09:03:29

I got a load of different testers for my bedroom last year and all the greys were wrong. Mostly they had too much blue in them or were too dark and blackish even when they looked really pale on the label.

The best grey I found was 'pale walnut' by dulux. It's supposed to be a slightly brownish grey but actually looks very grey in my room - it was the same in our old living room. Grey, but a warm grey.

Try a bit and see how it works with the light you get.

It's a really lovely colour and has a lot of depth to it - I think they have an (almost?) identical one called Just walnut which is more commercially available, like off the shelf (pale walnut was a mixer one) and that has great reviews.

Twinklefuck Sun 17-Jan-16 09:09:25

Thank you, I'll add those to my lonely list! thanks

EarthWindAnd9 Sun 17-Jan-16 09:11:37

Little Greene In French Grey, it was the "truest" grey I found for our North facing living room and I tried A LOT of testers!

WhoisLucasHood Sun 17-Jan-16 09:15:29

We've just used valspar putty white which is a very light greige, it's warm and neutral.

DanceTheBlues Sun 17-Jan-16 09:21:24

We've got dulux "just walnut" in our north facing bedroom and it's a lovely light grey colour.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 17-Jan-16 09:37:13

Cornforth white F and B - here it is on our wall. We have a very bright room yet it's definitely a subtle fray. I've seen it used successfully in halls as it's not too dark - I tried about 10 greys and I kept making the mistake that corn forth white was white and rejecting it as too light - it's really not

Neffi Sun 17-Jan-16 09:44:52

Dulux dusted moss 2. It's the range that needs mixing.

Twinklefuck Sun 17-Jan-16 12:16:03

Thank you, lots on my list now! Hopefully one will be just perfect thanks

Monica101 Sun 17-Jan-16 13:53:54

Having being through about 40 tester pots the perfect grey for my house was Dulux Pebble Shore.

It's a soft, warm grey which isn't blue at all.

lovelycuppateas Sun 17-Jan-16 15:50:20

Crown Spotlight was my favourite, it's quite light and a warmish grey that I think looks really good with white woodwork. I painted my sitting room with it and got lots of complimentary comments.

CiderwithBuda Sun 17-Jan-16 15:57:41

Little Greene 'Perennial Grey'. Have it in a south facing sitting room and it's nice and warm but not too dark. Also have it on one wall in dining area and chimney breast alcoves in sitting area off kitchen. Looks different but works just as well.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 17-Jan-16 16:03:03

I have Dulux Polished Pebble, which is lovely - no mauves, no yellows, no blues, just light grey. Perhaps a teeny bit too light in our South facing room,but only a touch, and would almost definitely not darken your North facing areas. Dusted Moss 2 might be better for just south facing, but is a couple of shades darker.

ShootTheMoon Sun 17-Jan-16 16:30:59

F&B Cornforth White here too. A biggish sitting room with Windows at either end, north/south facing. I love it; it's so calming and peaceful.

I struggled to find a carpet I liked to go with it though.

Monica101 Sun 17-Jan-16 16:49:10

You will have to buy loads of testers, there is no escaping it.

Half the colours I have bought on this thread and rejected as no good. It's so subjective plus a colour will look totally different in one house to the next.

It's a shame we can't ship around the same 40 grey testers!

Dulux online let you buy testers for a £1, that's the most economical way to start I found with the Dulux paints at least.

RingUpRingRingDown Sun 17-Jan-16 16:49:16

Little Greene string white, although it really depends on the natural light. Looks like a warm, pale grey in a north-facing room but off white in sunny rooms.

Cornforth white looks blue rather than grey in my bathroom (east facing).

RingUpRingRingDown Sun 17-Jan-16 16:50:10

Strong white not string white

varicoseveronica Sun 17-Jan-16 17:40:19

Another Strong White by F&B here, also look at Pavilion Grey.
Gorgeous together too.

skippy67 Mon 18-Jan-16 08:00:15

We have Dulux Just Walnut in DS north facing room. Looks lovely

GoneAndDone Mon 18-Jan-16 08:02:30

Another vote for Dulux Polished Pebble.

TobleroneBoo Mon 18-Jan-16 08:04:48

Place marking smile

Showgirl109 Mon 18-Jan-16 08:10:53

My house is all grey! But it's so weird how some paints look so different in different rooms. We had so many samples! It's the only way!
Laura Ashley- dove grey
Dulux - perfectly taupe
F&B - elephants breath

Rupster Mon 18-Jan-16 10:20:04

I used Dulux Polished Pebble and was very pleased with it.

Twinklefuck Mon 18-Jan-16 13:29:51

Thanks everyone, I've ordered 10 testers from dulux and just waiting for them to get here and can vito each one and be too picky try them out on the walls.

Redecorating the entire house and none of our furniture will be delivered before 28th so have a lot of time to choose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now