Hanging pictures

(7 Posts)
wannabetennisplayer Sun 27-Dec-15 19:26:43

When I bought my flat it had several nails in the wall at various spots and a couple of (generic, shop bought) pictures still hanging on the wall. I decided to buy a couple of framed pictures to replace them, convinced that it would be really simple to just replace the current pictures with my own choice.

However, the existing pictures have two hooks attached to the sides of the frames which have a piece of string wrapped round them which is then hooked on a nail on the wall. My framed pictures look nothing like this.

The first one (in the first picture) has one 'hook' at the top. I think it could just about be hooked onto a nail in the wall although it's quite tricky as you can't see what you are doing and whether it's actually in the hole or just hanging from the frame - and I'm not convinced that that is how it is supposed to be hung.

The second one has one 'hook' (if you can call it that) at the top and one at the side (see the second and third - slightly blurry - photos) but they are at the bottom of a deep frame and very flat so you definitely couldn't hang it directly onto the nail by these 'hooks'.

I've tried looking online for advice but all the advice on hanging pictures seems to be about positioning them in the perfect spot, ensuring they are completely straight and no one else seems to have the embarrassingly basic problem of not knowing how you attach a picture to the wall blush Can anyone help? I am useless at DIY so am looking for the simplest solution that will get them up on the wall and staying there!

wowfudge Mon 28-Dec-15 14:42:17

Okay - the first one, can you slightly bend it out? If so it will make it easier to fit over a nail if you don't have proper picture hooks. I think the flatter rings on the other picture need some picture wire (from an ironmonger or DIY store) or string threading through them and tying. You can then loop that over a nail. Hope I've explained that well enough.

Rupster Mon 28-Dec-15 17:19:29

Instead of having picture hooks on the wall, I prefer using masonry nails. They're basically nails that don't bend when you hammer them into a wall.

You can hang your two pictures on to masonry nails either using the attachments on the frames (try to bend them out a bit to make it easier) or just hang the frame itself over the masonry nail.

wannabetennisplayer Mon 28-Dec-15 20:58:57

Thanks for the suggestions.

As I bought both pictures from the same place you'd have thought they'd at least both have the same type of frame but no!

LastTripToTulsa Sun 03-Jan-16 21:46:34

Comand tape is brill no need for nails ect

fabulousfrancesca Sun 03-Jan-16 23:21:09

I use command stuff too. All my various things are either stuck on with the picture hanging strips or hung on the sticky hooks.

newyear16 Sun 03-Jan-16 23:28:37

Can you use comand tape to hng heavy pictures and can you use it on wallpapered walls or does it just tear the wallpaper off?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now