What colour curtains should I choose?

(17 Posts)
Rupster Fri 04-Dec-15 11:41:19

Hi. This is my first post!

I'm currently redecorating our bedroom. The carpet is light brown, and the walls are going to be white (Dulux White Cotton). The wall behind the bed will be brick-effect Fresco painted white. The skirting boards and architrave will be gloss white.

My partner wants to have lots of colour and patterns on the bedding and on the wall pictures which I'm fine with, hence going for plain walls so there'll be no clash of colours or patterns.

My dilemma is what colour curtains to go for?

I'm thinking white or something pale/neutral, but my partner wants a stronger colour. We want to be able to have different colours and patterns for the bedding, so the curtains would have to go well with lots of different things.

Thanks in advance!

Rupster Mon 07-Dec-15 09:37:17

Is anyone able to help?

Thanks.

AliceInUnderpants Mon 07-Dec-15 09:42:15

Yeah I'd go for white(ish) curtains, if the bedding could be various colours. Are there any particular colours the bedding is likely to be?

I have white (timeless) walls, mid-brown carpet and white furniture. My curtains are red, and bedding is either cream with red, or just cream.

Rupster Mon 07-Dec-15 13:26:08

The bedding could be any colour.

We've already bought one set which is floral with white, blue and red in it.

Rupster Mon 07-Dec-15 13:29:36

By the way, all the bedroom furniture is Ikea Bruscali in white.

LettuceLaughton Mon 07-Dec-15 13:35:52

I'd go with white curtains too, gives far more flexabilty. Actual white though, not some aff shade.

LettuceLaughton Mon 07-Dec-15 13:36:05

Off shade

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Mon 07-Dec-15 13:54:26

I would say white, or cream and white, but with some texture to it (small weave, or boucle) to be a bit more interesting.

Rupster Tue 08-Dec-15 08:59:20

Thanks, everyone.

amarmai Tue 08-Dec-15 19:46:26

you cd get a darker shade to match the carpet.

Borninthe60s Tue 08-Dec-15 20:04:24

Similar to carpet then a blank canvas.

Misty9 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:04:13

We've got really nice textured curtains from b and q, they're a stone colour and make the room look really warm.

Misty9 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:08:41

these

Rupster Wed 30-Dec-15 16:23:39

After discussions with the other half, we've met halfway and decided to get plain light blue curtains. (I wanted plain white and the other half wanted colours and patterns!)

The problem is I'm having great trouble finding anything. There appear to be lots of duck egg coloured curtains around, but we don't really want that hint of green in the colour.

Can anyone recommend any curtain shops with a good range?

Thanks.

wowfudge Wed 30-Dec-15 22:10:55

Dunelm - they have ready mades and do made to measure.

moopymoodle Thu 31-Dec-15 15:20:11

Sounds like way too much white going on to me. Could end up a bit clinical.

Rupster Mon 01-Feb-16 10:29:15

Here are some pictures to show the curtains we ended up getting. They were from Dunelm. Not the white/cream I'd initially wanted, but a compromise that seems to work OK with my other half's love of all things patterned!

We still plan to put colourful pictures and a couple of white shelves on the walls, but the room certainly seems to be getting there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now