Woodburners with ovens- anyone got one?

(10 Posts)
FurbysMakeSexNoises Sun 15-Nov-15 19:00:00

Just seen an awesome looking wood-burner which has an integral top oven (Dartmoor Baker by Dean Forge). Has anyone got similar and how do you find it? It's for my dining room and thought it would be great for keeping food and dishes warm or even finishing off a dish if the oven in the kitchen is full.

Are they worth it? Same kW as others I have been looking at and not much more expensive.

Hiahia Mon 16-Nov-15 12:26:45

we just had it installed!

haven't fired it off yet, however.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Mon 16-Nov-15 14:50:22

Ooh exciting! Are you planning to cook much with it or just use for warming? Which colour did you choose?

Use it immediately and report back wink

Hiahia Mon 16-Nov-15 15:06:52

Well the fitter made a mistake with parts, and needs to come back as it's protruding too much out of the chimney breast.

We're also debating wether to leave it as is within the chimney breast, or to retrofit one of themarble fire surrounds (not original to that space, but original to the house) around it... It would be practial so that we can use the mantel ledge to prop things and would ground the wall... but might be a bit 'natural pattern' overkill in the kitchen. So that delays things too.

But we will try on asap and report back - promise.

I think we'll definitely do some cooking/baking. Probably more for fun experimentations than for regular 'useful' cooking though.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Tue 17-Nov-15 22:07:50

How irritating when last minute details go wrong! I'm really keen on the idea actually so may well go ahead and order one. Did you order it through them directly?

Hiahia Wed 18-Nov-15 14:15:17

Nope, our installer could get it for cheaper for us.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Wed 18-Nov-15 19:42:22

Which colour did you go for? My instinct is charcoal or grey but the charcoal looks quite mushroomy on the website?

My installer has suggested I order it directly and they'll fit it which is a faff.

Hiahia Mon 23-Nov-15 21:38:55

sorry - I didn't see your latest message,

We asked for 'black' to our fitter - I reckon it translated to Charcoal. I wish they gave us black handles, but there seemed to be trouble with that, even though the brochure says black is standard?! So we received stainless steel handles. Eh well - we could get them powder coated later on, possibly.

If you wait a little bit, you probably could get it in a Christmas/January sale?!
you can PM if you want to know the price we ended up paying.

Wingwild Sat 16-Jan-16 08:29:52

How's the wood burner? We're having one fitted on Mon!! Have you found a cast iron casserole dish that fits in the oven? I'm looking for one but am unsure about what will fit!

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sun 31-Jan-16 11:02:37

Hi we've just had ours installed and honestly not sure much cooking will occur in the top oven as it is so small! I didn't see it in the flesh and it was the same price as a similar one so thought we might as well. Also when using the stove below I think you need to have the oven door open or you get condensation. The top section,

We've only tried to light it a couple of times but not really made a success of it yet, need to be more persistent and live has been too busy!

I'd be interested to see how others have fared too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now