Chalk paint at Aldi?

(18 Posts)
Pagerty Wed 29-Jul-15 23:38:20

Has anyone tried this? I heard about this from a friend. Apparently it's £4.99 a 1l tin. I have been meaning to have a go with AS on an old desk for ages but just haven't got round to it, I wonder if the Aldi one will be any good? I don't think they have a version of the wax.

mrsmeerkat Thu 30-Jul-15 00:06:05

They have the wax in my leaflet (Ireland)

I am using Annie Sloan so interested

ASAS Thu 30-Jul-15 00:21:15

We have the Aldi chalk paint and it's fine. I used 2 coats, originally I would wet wash it but now just use a duster which adds to the charm.

Pagerty Thu 30-Jul-15 09:46:47

Meerkat, I did see that they had wax, I didn't realise that it was suitable to use as you would AS. I am very much a novice in this field having not yet attempted to paint anything bar walls and usual woodwork, but I need a new challenge.

JustBeingJuliet Thu 30-Jul-15 16:45:51

I've bought a tin of this today, plus the wax, and I'm about to have a go on a kitchen cupboard so I'll report back!

Pagerty Thu 30-Jul-15 21:54:09

They were all sold out at my local by the time I got there after lunch! Fingers crossed they get more in. I hope you get good results.

Chchchchanging Sat 01-Aug-15 21:59:55

Where have you all found them- none anywhere here (mids)

JustBeingJuliet Sat 01-Aug-15 23:33:22

I got mine at one of the Derby stores. Not the colour I really wanted, but I can find a use for it. I've had a practice on my spare kitchen cupboard door and I'm really pleased with the finish smile

Colette Sun 02-Aug-15 20:25:36

I've just been looking at reviews on Aldi's website, there are only 4, but 3 of them aren't good.

So was wondering has anyone else used the paint yet ? I've been thinking of getting some tomorrow . Have loads of ideas and was getting quite excited ...

craftysewer Sun 02-Aug-15 21:00:24

They only had two colours in our Aldi store. Green and Dark grey. I've bought the green to try it out.

JustBeingJuliet Mon 03-Aug-15 00:10:00

I bought the dark grey to have a practice with, as I've never used chalk paint before, and I'm loathe to spend £18 on a tin of Annie Sloan unless I know that it will do what I want it to do!

I've done two coats, plus wax, on a laminated kitchen cabinet door - no sanding or priming - and I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. It's a good coverage, nice and even, and, after 24 hours, the wax has set really hard. I've also painted one tile, as I'm planning on painting them grey anyway, and just one coat has covered really well.

I'm now going to take the plunge and order some AS in the colour I want my units to be smile

Pagerty Sat 08-Aug-15 23:50:28

I got to my Aldi store at lunch time and it was all sold out! Glad some of you found a tin or two.

ReginaBlitz Fri 14-Aug-15 00:09:44

Please don't bother!! I use Annie Sloan or Rustolium, was in Aldi and they had one tin of the steel grey left so I thought I'd give it a try,awful! Goes on like piss your really do get what you pay for

anewnana Wed 03-Aug-16 15:07:46

Absolutely dreadful. I got the Whisper white, I was so excited as Aldi usually comes up trumps with copies of, but not this time, it was like the white in a cream egg, transparent, sticky, and refused to cover due to the lack of chalk ( or pigment), 3 coats and still painting, showing no sign of covering the very pale blue on my old dutch dresser. Ive stirred and stirred, left tin upside fown in the hope all the chalk pigment is fown the bottom, to no avail. Not even worth the £4.99 sadly.

Bini2016 Wed 17-Aug-16 13:00:21

Last week I purchased Aldi's chalk paint. I have been painting furniture in different kinds of paint for many many years.. I have used chalks, acrylics, gloss, stains, varnish etc etc... This paint from Aldi isn't chalk... It doesn't feel chalky it doesn't smooth or rub off with your finger when dry.. It's peals off like rubber... Wouldn't recommend it if u were looking for a chalk finish. 😖

lolasue99 Thu 13-Oct-16 22:23:11

I just painted a table and after with the crap and it's been an hour and it's sticky, smells like straight latex paint. I hope it does peel off so I can repaint if not there goes money down the drain on this cute table!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 16-Oct-16 15:33:02

I've done a few bits with Annie Sloan and find that a little goes a long way especially if it's slightly watered down for coverage. I now buy just the tester pots for furniture items, a tester of cream did 2 coats on a rocking chair with some left over, and that keeps the costs down a bit.

Debbiedumplin Sun 23-Oct-16 22:06:17

I have used the steel grey and the tea, I love this paint, I always sand my things ,I find annie sloan expensive and sometimes to thick, heres my things I done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now