Incredibly important nursery dilemma.

(11 Posts)
ShebaShimmyShake Tue 21-Jul-15 17:54:22

I tell a lie. It's the most insignificant question imaginable, but I'd still like to ask the hive mind for its opinions smile

I'm decorating the nursery for our first child and I want to make the decorations. I thought of making a giant dreamcatcher for one wall out of a hula hoop, and a cot mobile with knitted sun, moon, stars and planets, and a normal sized dreamcatcher in the middle. That made me think that an astronomy/night sky theme could be lovely for the nursery.

But I am also making a Noah's Ark cross stitch birth sampler and like the idea of decorating the non dreamcatcher walls with craft foam exotic animals (got lovely pictures of an elephant, monkey, lion and tiger). So maybe it should be an animal themed nursery.

Think it would look weird having both, or should I pick a theme and stick with it? And if so, which one?

I told you it was incredibly important smile

ShebaShimmyShake Tue 21-Jul-15 17:57:42

To add, I thought about getting a cross stitch pattern for the baby's expected Zodiac sign, but it's due quite near to the next sign along, and it would be just my luck to stitch an archer and then have the little sod turn out to be Capricorn.

crumblybiscuits Wed 22-Jul-15 10:35:56

I think maybe the one pattern or at least using co-ordinating colours. I think the astronomy themed hoop sounds wonderful! Animals are quite common whereas I think that is really inventive and different.

eckythumpenallthat Wed 22-Jul-15 10:37:31

I'd go with the animals and have astronomy on the ceiling. Use those stick on stars or create the constellations

ShebaShimmyShake Wed 22-Jul-15 17:21:46

Thanks guys! Yes, I was thinking of having a sticker star shower on the wall right by the cot... Lots of glow in the dark stuff but I don't think that's conducive to sleep.

crumblybiscuits Wed 22-Jul-15 19:33:59

As long as it's there from the beginning it shouldn't be an issue sleep-wise.

wowfudge Wed 22-Jul-15 21:39:10

I got a lovely pattern for a crocheted Noah's Ark cot blanket from Annie's Attic online. With an animal theme there's a lot you can do.

ShebaShimmyShake Thu 23-Jul-15 17:55:41

I don't crochet but I do knit and cross stitch. Loads of Noah's Ark stuff, it's lovely.

Qwebec Tue 04-Aug-15 20:26:20

Crochet is actually easier than knitting unless you crochet really tight like me
I think you could combine both themes but you would need to have a link between the two, I second the matching color idea, you could also go with north american animals.

MimiSunshine Wed 05-Aug-15 15:45:59

How about animals / safari but at night? It doesn't have to be 'day time' golds / yellows and Browns.
You could use blues / purples and a hint of sunset (depending on how much you want to paint walls) with stars and moons (dream catchers)out.
Along these lines

shackattack Tue 09-Feb-16 16:57:56

I like the animal theme better, it seems more friendly for very young children. love the idea of the craft foam exotic animals! I got obsessed making an animal themed mobile from stuffed felt animals (found the patterns on pintrest & etsy). Also got some beautiful prints of a bear, fox and badger which are lovely and colourful from a little shop on etsy, link is here if anyone is interested:

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/BareBrownBear?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now